[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Driver Challenge and How You Can Help

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jan 25 02:33:56 UTC 2011

From: nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Freeh, Jessica
(by way of David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>)
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 4:43 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Driver Challenge and How You Can Help

Dear Fellow Federationists:

This is Chris Danielsen, director of public relations for the National
Federation of the Blind.  As many of you know, on Saturday, January 29, many
of us will be attending the public debut of a car equipped with a nonvisual
interface that will empower a blind person to drive without sighted
assistance.  Naturally, the public relations office is working hard to
obtain coverage of this historic event in as many media outlets as possible,
including local outlets ranging from television stations to community-based
newspapers.  I'm writing to ask if you will assist us in this publicity
effort by contacting media outlets in your local area and making sure that
they know about this historic event.  If you are planning to be in
attendance at the Daytona International Speedway, then you may want to let
your local media know that you will be a witness to the first public
demonstration of driving by nonvisual interface and that you are willing to
talk with them about your experience.  You might agree to dial in from the
grandstand on your cell phone and talk to your local radio station, or to be
interviewed by your local paper about what the NFB Blind Driver ChallengeT
means to you.

There are a number of materials available at www.blinddriverchallenge.org
<http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/>  that can guide you in talking to
local media, including a comprehensive set of Frequently Asked Questions
<http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/bdcg/Frequently_Asked_Questions.asp>
(FAQs).  You should also take advantage of the press releases available in
the Press Center <http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/bdcg/Press_Center.asp>
, where you can also subscribe to have the latest press releases sent to you
by e-mail.  Feel free to forward any or all of the press releases to members
of the media.  Finally, if reporters request information that you cannot
provide, don't hesitate to contact me or to have them do so.

Please watch for subsequent e-mails and continue to check the Blind Driver
ChallengeT and NFB Web sites to learn more details about the event.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Daytona Beach as we show the world
the true capacity of blind people to perform tasks that are thought to be
visual, as long as we have the proper information and technology.  The
foundation of many misconceptions about blind people will be shaken, and we
will continue to make our dream of full independence and equality come true.

Sincerely:

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND