[nfbwatlk] Convention Teaser

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Sep 24 03:57:40 UTC 2010

Fellow list subscribers:

I have a "convention teaser" for you. But before getting to it, I hope that all of you are making your convention reservations. We need to get them in ASAP.

Now to the convention teaser: you will remember that I was unable to secure Randy Dorn, Superintendent of Public Instruction, as a speaker for our convention. I met him in January and at that time, he said he would be glad to speak to our convention this year. Well, circumstances have intervened once again: Mr. Dorn will be recuperating from knee replacement surgery at the time of our convention so will not be able to speak to us.

However, Ken Kanikeberg, Chief of Staff to Mr. Dorn, *will* be able to speak to us. He is extremely knowledgeable, both in terms of education and in terms of realpolitik so should prove to be very interesting in these troubled times. WE will be able to ask him about the office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction's stance on encouragement of braille reading and writing by blind and visually impaired students in Washington and on certification of braille competency by Washington K-12 teachers of the blind and visually impaired.

Stay tuned for more convention teasers!

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington