[nfbwatlk] Character Recognition for Security Reasons?

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Thu Aug 12 15:47:41 UTC 2010

There are a couple layers of a solution to make the best of this very bad
situation.  With these implemented, I am almost always able to solve
CAPTCHAs fairly quickly and easily.

Layer 1.

Go to solona.net and read the information about the CAPTCHA solution
service. You fill out a simple form to create an acount, and for quickest
results, download a little program to automate the process.  When you run
into a picture to type, you hit a few keystrokes and wait a minute for a
live sighted operator somewhere on the planet to send you the result which
you can type in.

Layer 2

Once you set up a Solona account, you can skip the download step and get
this down to a two keystroke process if you install IeMax from
http://EmpowermentZone.com/IEMax.exe.  This is a set of JAWS scripts which
actually are very useful for many things.  My favorite thing about them is
that with them you can mark a spot on a web page, go to a different spot,
and hit a second key which causes all text between those two spots to
effortlessly be selected.  The scripts also give access to a wealth of
information through a process similar to the Research feature of JAWS 11.

Back to the matter at hand, With this package in place, when you come to a
captcha, you hit one keystroke, then enter to accept your account
information.  The system gives you updates, and when the volunteer solves
the captcha for you, it is placed on the clipboard.

Hope this is useful.  If not, ask any questions that arise.  By the way,
Solona seeks sighted volunteers, and it is a task a person can do while on
his or her computer, with little intrusion or time required.

Dean