[nfbwatlk] Impressions of SRC Meeting

Kristina Lawrence tishgifts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 04:32:39 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I have finally come up from the weekend of Girl Scout Cookie Sales.
Our fingers almost fell off but the sun came out enough times to keep
Kaitlynn going.

Now, in regards to the meeting on Saturday. I was able to attend the
first hour or so. Cindy graciously allowed me to read the statement of
the NFBW first so that I could go and attend to a prior commitment. I
will post the statement later tonight or first thing in the morning.

Thank you to Kay Burrows and Jedi for attending the meeting on behalf
of the NFBW and themselves. I heard Kay's statement and know that she
made some great points of the value of a residential program. I am
sure that Jedi did a marvelous job as well as she is quite an
effective speaker. I also know that Dan Fry called in and I know that
he spoke eloquently as usual. I appreciate the fact that he is always
keeping an eye on things here in Washington.

Hard choices are having to be made these days. I know about the high
unemployment rate and I don't know that people are thinking things
through clearly. How often are we trying to save everything without
real comprimise. I have a couple of ideas that I would like to share.

1. Order of selection vs closing the residential program. You cannot
close the residential program and expect to get it back anytime soon.
If the residential program does close, then those people who would
have received training, learned the necessary skills to live
independently and become employed will not be able to do so. Well, so
what? It is only 21 a year or so. But think about that. For every year
it is closed that is minimum of 21 people who would not learn the
necessary skills. Who COULD end up living in assisted living
facilities on DSHS, getting medical from DSHS, getting food stamps
from DSHS and NOT be paying into the state tax pool. Where as if we go
to an order of selection, we are still serving those who are in
desperate need of help. There are those who go blind due to whatever
and who now need to deal with the blindness and the fact that they
were already parents. I know of one person who told their spouse to go
and find their children a proper parent because now that they were
blind, they did not feel that they could be a proper parent. That
person attended the OTC and is a proper parent and moving on with
their life. If that person had not gotten at least SOME of the
necessary skills, where would the kids be? The marriage, as so often
does, fell apart and the kids may have ended up in foster care. These
are the worst case senario, but they are possible. Probable? Not sure,
but possible.

2. Going out of state to the NFB centers. As stated in the formal
statement, the NFBW will not stop advocating for those who are
desirous of going out of state to the NFB centers. We want you to go
to the centers. We want you to be successful. However, there are
situations where this is not possible. So, does that mean we don't
want you to go to a local center and get the basics and come to
meetings and network with us and become active with us and learn from
peers? I am learning from my peers all the time whether they realize
it or not. Some training in an emmersion program is so much better
than no training in an emmersion program.

3. Lou Oma said that there are restrictions on how the money is spent.
I believe that there are and will be. However, again is this open to
interpretation? Can two different people read the same set of
"instructions" and come up with a different senario? I am sure that
they can and will.

4. Without the residential program, DSB will be swallowed up with the
local state VR program and frankly, DSB would be hard pressed to
justify why they need to be separate with out the residential program.
I, like others, have lived in a state with a VR program and NO DSB or
Commission for the blind. Flat out it stinks. If DSB goes away, like
the residential program, we would be truly hard pressed to get it
back.

These are my thoughts on the subject. I thought that the meeting went
well while I was there and I was truly disappointed that this happened
during a time I was unable to attend the full meeting. Kudos to those
who went and to those who called in.

Thank you,
Kris Colcock Lawrence
1st VP, NFBW