[nfbwatlk] For What It's Worth

Alco Canfield amcanfield at comcast.net
Sun Mar 8 23:36:48 UTC 2009

Below, please find the testimony I gave at the SRC meeting yesterday.

My name is Alco Canfield.  I approach this issue with a unique perspective
because I have worked in the OTC as a rehabilitation Teacher and have also
worked as an R.T. in the community.  I would like to give an example which
illustrates why I believe maintaining the apartments is so important.

I worked with a woman in Eastern Washington who had many kind neighbors who
were more than willing to do everything for her.  She therefore did not have
the motivation to become more independent.  Although I was the happy
beneficiary of the tomales her neighbors made, I knew this woman would not
progress unless she went into a training center with a residential
component.

When I worked at the OTC, I saw students who had to put into practice the
skills they were being taught on a 24/7 basis.  They did not return home at
night to families who might overprotect them.  They also had the support of
other blind people who were going through the same challenges.

I urge you to maintain the present residential program to provide those who
wish to come with intensive 24/7 training.

Thank you.