[nfbwatlk] Fw: footprints july: prioritization and funding

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:53:56 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Feet First
To: jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:32 PM
Subject: footprints july: prioritization and funding

            footprints
            July 2009

            Dear Friend of Feet First,

            More than ever, we recognize the importance of prioritizing funding for livable and walkable communities. Each day we have a choice to walk instead of drive. All of these opportunities take engineering, education and encouragement dollars, and more often political will.

            This year the Federal Highway Administration is reauthorizing new version highway bill—Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU)—set to expire at the end of September. The bill from James L. Oberstar, Chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee calls for a change in “transit equity”, moves towards more local control and sets up an Office for Livability. Another bill out to support Feet First's work includes a reauthorization of the Safe Routes to School program (see below for more details and how you can help support this bill).

            Locally, the Puget Sound Regional Council has released its Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Transportation 2040. This is your opportunity to identify how you would like to prioritize funding for active transportation. Make sure to provide your comments by July 13th--the deadline. In Seattle, we are keeping track of the proposed employee head tax repeal. The tax is nominal for individual business, and it is a crucial source of funding for pedestrian infrastructure. The proposed cut ($4.5 million annual revenue) makes up a large percentage of pedestrian and bicycle improvements in the City of Seattle. With the City's Pedestrian Master Plan due to be adopted this fall, it is important to prioritize funding for infrastructure improvements. Discussion of the tax will be postponed until the council considers the 2010 budget later this year.

            At Feet First we continue to prioritize and strengthen our programs--while having fun! Most recently we have been able to expand our reach to the community with the addition of three wonderful people joining the Feet First team this summer: Elaine Boyd, Kirk Hovenkotter and Yuka Nagano. Elaine brings years managing active transportation programs in Scotland. Elaine is our Program Coordinator of PARK(ing) Day held this year on Friday, September 18th. Kirk is our Neighborhood Walking Ambassador Coordinator. Kirk brings enthusiasm to make any neighborhood walk you plan to lead a success. We also welcome Yuka who is from Kagohima, Japan and taking classes at the University of Washington. She is assisting with our White Center Neigborhoods on Foot Walking Map due out the end of August.

            Your stories, letters, pictures and volunteer efforts, inspire us. We are grateful for the commitment and priority you have towards our mission. Get involved, it matters.

            Sincerely yours,

            Lisa Quinn
            Executive Director

            P.S. Be sure to save the date for our social and wine pool, Wednesday September 16th from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m at the Elliott Bay Cafe. Details below. We look forward to seeing you there!

            your footprint

            Take a Neighborhoods on Foot Walk

            A few weeks ago 45 people came together for a walking tour of the East Ballard neighborhood. This tour marked the first of Feet First’s Walking Ambassador Program tours. The program is designed to get people out and moving, with the added benefit of getting everyone acquainted with each other and their neighborhood. The tour consisted of twelve stops, which included small businesses, architectural interests, sustainable gardens, and civic projects.

            The hard work and support of the following neighbors and businesses made this walk possible: Walking Ambassador Shannon Dunn, assisted by Dawn Hemminger, Darlene Sozhino, Erin Goodell and Amy LaVarnway as well as local businesses Café Bambin on NW 65th St. and Crash Landing Pizza at NW 65th Street & 6th Avenue NW.

            Click here to read more about the tour and a behind the scenes look at creating the tour.

            Stay tuned for dates of future Neighborhoods on Foot walks including one in south of Market Street, Ballard and Capitol Hill in August.

            To become a Walking Ambassador for your neighborhood, contact Kirk Hovenkotter at kirk at feetfirst.info or by calling 206-652-2310. You'll receive a tool kit and encouragement to make your walk a success. Walks are encouraged outside Seattle!

            making a difference

            Sustainable Survey for Rainier Beach and North Green Lake/Greenwood

            Residents of two Seattle neighborhoods (Rainier Beach and North Green Lake/Greenwood) are invited by Sustainable Seattle and its project partners to take a short survey, which will help inform Sustainable Seattle’s Neighbors Acting to Build Resilience and Sustainability (NABRS) Project.  For more about the project, visit the sustainableseattle blogspot.

            Rainier Beach residents can take the survey here.

            North Green Lake/Greenwood residents can take the survey here.

            Northeast Seattle Trails (NEST) Takes to the Streets

            In June, Feet First came out with a draft of the North East Seattle Trails network. This draft is a collection of walking routes that connect destinations and places of recreation on safe and pleasing pathways. Community members have worked diligently to develop this network over the last half year. You can look at the draft network by clicking here.

            Now that the routes are proposed, we are taking to the streets again with a series of walking audits in the summer to do more thorough investigations of the walking conditions. We will be looking at what improvements need to be made to these routes to bring them up to par and beyond to vibrant meditative or playful corridors.

            The next walk is planned for the evening of Wednesday, July 15th at the North Gate Library and Community Center to celebrate their 3rd birthday.

            Following that, there will be walks on Saturday, July 18th at the Roosevelt Bull Festival in the Roosevelt Neighborhood.

            Check in on our NEST webpage for the latest information on walks, meetings, and information on the trails. If you would like to take part or lead a walk, contact Seth Schromen-Wawrin by emailing seth at feetfirst.info or calling 206-652-2310.

            your help needed

            CD Street Stories Multimedia Challenge
            Calling all youth, ages 11-19 who live in or go to school in the Central District! Take a walk, grab your camera, and tell us your digital story about walking in the CD. The top three entires will take home a ELPH digital camera. Check out the blog here for full details or for more information. Contact Megan Jackson by emailing megan at feetfirst.info or calling 206.652.2310. The deadline to submit entries is Friday, August 14th.

            Kirkland Neighborhoods on Foot Map Is Available for Comment on Feet First Website
            A draft of the map is completed and we want your comments and opinions. You can view the map here at the following links (South Kirkland and North Kirkland), or find a copy at Kirkland City Hall or Kirkland Library. Please provide comments by July 20, 2009.

            PARK(ing) Day - Friday, September 18th

            Trailguru for GPS enabled phones

            Try this link - it's a clickable Google map to enlarge, scroll about and click on the image icons. See the pictures of the walk by clicking on the little picture. Map out your own walk and discover the elevation and distance. The map here identifies the Fauntleroy area kiosks in West Seattle; Feet First is working to bring to the community in the fall. For more information about Kiosk Project in West Seattle contact Seth Schromen-Wawrin by emailing seth at feetfirst.info.

            Chas Redmond, Feet First Board Member, brings you this technology tool.

            mark your calendar

            Come Take A Walk In the Park with Us At Seattle Art Museum
            Join us as we take a "walking audit" approach to discussing how to incorporate walking into your life for health, environment, community and pleasure. More details here.

            When: Saturday, July 11th, 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
            Where: Seattle Art Museum (PACCAR Pavilion) at the Sculpture Park

            Great City Summer Street Scene Transforming Bell Street into a Park - like Boulevard
            Join Feet First at the Summer Street Scene sponsored by Great City. We'll be participating in the transformation of a parking spot on Bell Street while enjoying live music, drinks, and of course, good company. Teams are sought to transform Bell St. into an innovative, attractive and inviting urban space. Inspiration can come from anywhere: a four square game, a street side café, a fortune teller’s booth, a taffy pull, or a space station.

            When: Thursday, July 16th, 5:00 p.m.
            Where: Bell St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, (Downtown Seattle)

            For more information contact Allison Burson at allison.burson at greatcity.org

            Intersection Painting in Seattle!

            Get involved in Sustainable Green Lake

            They are planning an event for their intersection and have a call for artist ideas and a meeting planned for July 9th.

            When: Friday, July 9th, 6:30 p.m.
            Where: Bethany Community Church's CE auditorium, 8023 Greenlake Drive N

            Bring design ideas for a block sized street painting for Stone Way N the block between 80th and Green Lake Drive or just come to meet your neighbors and see what's going on!

             For more information, contact:

            Megan Horst, 414-350-6093  sustainablegreenlake.org
            Sarah Buehler Neill, 206-524-9000 churchbcc.org

            Neighbors are repainting the Wallybug

            They'll powerwash and paint all in one day, with the painting and the block party lasting into our long summer evening. For those interesting in painting their own intersections, this is a great opportunity to see it in action. Let Eric know if you are interested in coming, or just show up to lend a hand, observe, or celebrate.

            When: Friday, July 9th, 5:00 p.m.
            Where: 49th and Burke Streets

            For more information contact Eric Higbee by email: h_i_g_b_e_e at yahoo.com

            Summer Streets Festivals. Check out these local streets transformed into pubic places.

            University District - July 11th

            Rainier Avenue - August 8th

            Link Light Rail Launches This Summer
            Saturday, July 18th

            Join Feet First on walks from different locations along the Link Light Rail corridor. The Southeast Senior Center to Othello Station on Saturday, July 18th. Walks to the Othello Station originate at 4655 S Holly Street, Seattle 98118. In conjunction with the walk, the Senior Center is hosting a fundraiser pancake breakfast from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. for only $5.00. Please call Ruth to reserve at 206-722-0317.

            Feet First will be distributing maps to local businesses the week of July 13th. For more information contact Kirk Hovenkotter by emailing kirk at feetfirst.info or calling 206-652-2310.

            Save the Date! Feet First Quarterly Social & Wine Pool, Wednesday, September 16th from 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m at the Elliott Bay Cafe (101 S Main Street, Seattle, 98104 - 206-682-6664). Enjoy music, food and a no-host bar. Suggested donation is $15. What's a Wine Pool? Come and find out!

            get involved

            Put Feet First!
            Become a member of Feet First. Your donation helps us to advocate for places for people. Please help us have a louder voice for people. Your business can support Feet First by sponsorship our monthly enewsletter. Reach over 3,000 subscribers for just $300 with placement of your logo on our enewsletter. To receive more information, contact Lisa Quinn at lisa at feetfirst.info.

            Volunteer!
            Feet First depends on volunteers to achieve its mission. Current positions include: administration, website designer, fundraising, map distributors, walking ambassadors, GIS map maker and more. Do you have a skill you would like to share with Feet First? Please let us know. You are only limited by your creativity.

            Forward this message to a friend