[nfbwatlk] Afb to close its audio division in October 2009

carl jarvis carjar at olypen.com
Sat Nov 22 00:15:34 UTC 2008

>From the AFB web site:

AFB to Close its Audio Production Division in October 2009

New York (November 17, 2008)-After 75 years of participating in the National
Library Service (NLS) Talking Book Program, the American Foundation for the
Blind (AFB) is closing its audio book division in October 2009 with the
expiration of AFB's New York headquarters' lease. Fans of talking books will
continue to have access to high quality audio books from the many other
accomplished audio book producers participating in the NLS program, as well
as through increasingly popular, accessible, and affordable commercially
produced books and internet downloads.

Since pioneering the development of recorded books in the 1930s, AFB has
produced tens of thousands of Talking Books for the Library of Congress-a
program championed by Helen Keller during her tenure at AFB. AFB expects to
continue producing audio material for NLS and our other customers until AFB
leaves its present facility.

"As a Talking Book user myself, I take enormous pride in the role AFB has
played in providing high-quality audio books to people who are blind or
visually impaired," said Carl R. Augusto, AFB President & CEO. "While we are
saddened to be exiting the Talking Book business, we are confident that
other audio book producers have sufficient studio production capacity to
handle NLS requirements and that blind and visually impaired consumers will
continue to have access to audio material through the NLS program and other
avenues."

AFB's decision to exit the Talking Book program was based on a number of
factors, including the financial costs that AFB incurs by participating in
the government-funded NLS program and the need to apply donor funds to those
programs that AFB is in a unique position to deliver.

"AFB is proud to have produced so many amazing audio books, and we owe a
huge thank you to AFB's audio book production staff and to the actors and
narrators whose much-loved voices have created wonderful and enduring
recordings," added Augusto.

# # #

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is a national nonprofit that
expands possibilities for people with vision loss. AFB's priorities include
broadening access to technology; elevating the quality of information and
tools for the professionals who serve people with vision loss; and promoting
independent and healthy living for people with vision loss by providing them
and their families with relevant and timely resources. AFB is also proud to
house the Helen Keller Archives and honor the over forty years that Helen
Keller worked tirelessly with AFB. For more information visit us online at
www.afb.org

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.22 - 10.100.059).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/