[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind and Low-Vision Adults Needed for Personalized Object Recognition Study

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Mon Nov 9 14:27:08 UTC 2020

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design,
City, University of London

Blind or low vision participants needed to improve AI

Smartphones are helping blind users explore their world. For instance, Seeing AI uses Artificial Intelligence to analyze a picture you take with the camera.

While these kinds of systems currently can recognize common items, say for example “this is a mug”, the problem is that they can’t tell whether this is
your mug. Also, they don’t know of items that are important to blind or low vision people, such as a white cane. We are trying to change this but to do
so we need more examples of things that are important to you. Help us!

We are looking for people who are blind or low vision to use an iOS app to take short videos of things that are important to them. This app will allow
lots of blind and low vision people to contribute data to help train the kinds of AI behind these smartphone apps.
We are looking for participants who:
list of 3 items
• are over 18 years old
• are blind or have low vision
• have an iPhone or iPad

To find out more about this study including how to take part, please visit our website at https://orbit.city.ac.uk/phase-2-data-collection/

For any questions please contact Lida Theodorou at
Lida.Theodorou.2 at city.ac.uk<mailto:Lida.Theodorou.2 at city.ac.uk>

This study (ETH2021 - 0032) has been reviewed by and received ethics clearance through the Computer Science Research Ethics Committee, City, University of London. If you would like to complain about any aspect of the study, please contact the Secretary to the Senate
Research Ethics Committee on 020 7040 3040 or via email:
Anna.Ramberg.1 at city.ac.uk<mailto:Anna.Ramberg.1 at city.ac.uk>. City, University of London is the data controller for the personal data collected for this research project.
If you have any data protection concerns about this research project, please contact City’s Information
Compliance Team at
dataprotection at city.ac.uk<mailto:dataprotection at city.ac.uk>

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

Disclaimer