[Nfbnet-members-list] Open Letter of Apology from President Riccobono

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Wed Dec 16 17:21:21 UTC 2020

[]

<nfb.htm>
National Federation of the Blind logo and tagline live the life

Open Letter of Apology from President Riccobono

Content warning: the following letter addresses
sensitive topics regarding sexual misconduct and violence.

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Many NFB members, former members, and people
within our blindness community are hurting. For
some, the pain comes from their lived experience
of being abused or violated by one of our members
and/or made to feel like no one else was
listening or came to their defense at a
Federation event or training program. For others,
what they feel is empathy for survivors who were
harmed by participating in the National
Federation of the Blind, recognizing that we have
not done enough within our movement and
systemically within our community. We are deeply
sorry that this is true and apologize for where
we have failed. As the elected President of this
movement, Icarry the responsibility of this pain.
I am profoundly sorry that anyone has been harmed
by experiences in our movement. As a husband,
father of three children, and leader who tries to
live by a strong set of ethical values, I hurt
for the survivors, and I deeply regret that I
have made mistakes along the way. At each
opportunity that I have to sit with my young
children, I am directly reminded how fragile the
balances are in our lives and how much our
actions can have a lasting impact on others. I
live with the regret and sorrow for the mistakes
I personally made in dealing with inappropriate
behavior in the past. Sometimes my mistakes have
only been illuminated later through the honest
reflection of a friend or the vulnerable sharing
ofsomeone who has been harmed. How do you
adequately write a letter to apologize for that?
How do you spread this sentiment to an entire
movement of people including those who have left
our organization? How do we, collectively, create
an adequate action plan to promote healing,
prevent future incidents, and continue our
development of a culture that is welcoming, safe,
and eliminates the barriers to bringing concerns
forward for resolution? This letter attempts to
explore those questions, but this is merely a
single moment in these needed conversations.

Our hearts break for the survivors of abuse and
sexual misconduct who have bravely shared
incidents that have happened within our
organization over the decades. During the past
couple of weeks, a number of courageous
individuals have shared painful stories about
their experiences on social media and in
individual conversations. We thank those brave
survivors for sharing their stories because we
recognize how difficult that is and how each
story creates a unique set of emotions and
challenges. We deeply regret that over our eighty
years we have not handled each situation
appropriately or been able to heal the pain that
such incidents create. We do notreject these
feelings of pain. In fact, we want to find and
establish better ways to hear them and
continuously eliminate the actions that caused
them. We have no intention of debating the
circumstances of any instance. Instead we
acknowledge that if a survivor was left feeling
the situation went unaddressed, then we have
failed. The membership demands we do better. I,
as President, demand this of myself and expect it
from our movement. We will do better. In addition
to calling upon all Federationists to listen
better, honestly reflect upon your own biases,
and to actively align our actions to our words, I
call upon you not to dismiss those who cannot
believe that our intentions are sincere or those
who have had the courage to come forward.It is
our individual and collective action, positively
focused on making things better that will create
belief. That is what has been true for us since
1940, and it will continue to be true for us going forward.

Let us get down to the hard facts. Words appear
to mean nothing without actions, so below I’ve
outlined six steps that we are committing to in
the near future. Before I list them, please
understand that these are initial steps, and we
are committed to exploring and implementing
whatever policies, programs, trainings, or
resources necessary beyond these steps to
appropriately address these horrible situations.

Improvements to Reporting of Incidents

We are currently thoroughly reviewing the
pathways for reporting incidents and how those
paths are handled. We are open to revamping all
of the reporting mechanisms we have. We are in
discussion with outside consultants who are
expected to do a complete review of our processes
with a specialized emphasize on sexual misconduct
and harassment. We will rebuild all of our
procedures if needed. We expect our revised
processes to involve a third-party entity, but
since we do not yet know how that will turn into
actionable efforts within our organization, we
cannot be specific about that process. Our hope
is to be more transparent about our partnership
andtimelines for action during the first quarter
of 2021. We hear you about the uncomfortable
position some people feel is created by the
current reporting system when a person must
report through members they will later need to
deal with personally. Regardless of the reporting
mechanisms we maintain and create, we must be
very clear on one point: Every elected leader of
this organization must be prepared to take
concerns seriously and to act upon information
they are given as quickly and thoroughly as
possible. Furthermore, the safety of blind youth
who are under our supervision is our highest
priority, and any incident that is discovered must be dealt with immediately.

Open Meeting and Supporting Survivors

We are committing to hold an open meeting or
series of listening sessions to discuss these
issues and solicit feedback on what support and
resources victims and survivors need. We have not
yet detailed what the open meeting and
conversations will be. Because we do not want to
unintentionally contribute to further pain among
survivors, we want blind people with lived
experiences and our consultants to guide that
process. In the meantime, we continue to answer
calls and emails from Federation members seeking
clarity about these issues and offering solutions
that we will carefully weigh as our learning
continues. We are grateful to those of you who
havereached out directly offering your personal
experiences as a guide to future development. The
members of the Federation are expected to shape
what we do, and your readiness to bring solutions
makes a big difference. Our goal is to provide
support and healing to victims and survivors.

Enhancing the Code of Conduct Work

Prior to recent events and the stories that have
emerged, we were in the process of considering
and implementing several enhancements surrounding
our code of conduct and its related procedures
and programs. We have now paused those efforts.
Why? Because we are listening. We have done
horribly at messaging and sharing our internal
procedures and our plans for effectively
administering our organization's code of conduct.
I say paused because we want to carefully
evaluate where we are and our next steps guided
by the expertise of anti-sexual-violence experts
from outside our movement. If we must completely
reset, that is what we will do. For now, ourcode
and existing procedures are in place to set
expectations within our organization. We will
carefully evaluate current grievances to ensure
that they continue to be safely and swiftly
investigated even while our procedures are under review.

Illuminating Expectations

You may already know, but the board made its
annual revisions to the code and procedures
process on December 5, 2020. When we went to post
the revisions, we realized that the FAQ we
planned to post after the December 2019 review
did not happen. No excuses, that was a pretty big
dropped ball. That document is intended to answer
questions like what happens when a grievance is
filed, how is information kept confidential, and
what communications can a filing party expect?
Overall, we have failed to communicate broadly
the procedures we have been using. For example,
we allow for advocates to participate with
parties who are involved with code of
conductinvestigations. Moreover, these FAQs will
also be informed and expanded based upon
questions that continue to be raised. They will
also evolve as we implement additional avenues
for raising concerns and for training members of
the organization. We take ownership for the
misinformation that is now circulating. Please
keep those questions and suggestions coming.

Continuous Training

Training on issues around misconduct and abuse is
something we have only skimmed the surface of in
the recent past. We have done a minimal amount of
training for affiliate presidents and workshops
at our national convention. We were not satisfied
that our training was sustainable, so we have
been seeking other partners. That has been
unreasonably slow. No excuse, we understand. We
are going to be putting together training with
the specific goal of preventing misconduct and
abuse at Federation events and to strengthen the
level of comfort with reporting. We have also
hired an individual to assist in a number of
areas including coordinatingtraining­that person
only started on November 30, which is why we had
not yet introduced her to the membership.

Consistency across NFB Training Centers

A lack in consistency in practices across the
three training centers that are affiliated with
the National Federation of the Blind has been
raised as a concern. It is worth noting that only
BLIND Incorporated, the Colorado Center for the
Blind, and the Louisiana Center for the Blind
have made the specific partnership commitments
necessary to be formally and officially
affiliated with the organized blind movement. On
a regular basis, I have been meeting with our
training center directors with the specific goal
of better aligning our practices and policies.
There is more work to do there. We expect these
centers to fully commit to our code of
conductpractices and set the highest standard of
professional practice in all programs. During the
most recent revisions of our code of conduct, we
discussed the topic of consistency in handling
and reporting concerns at our centers. We will be
conducting a full review and implementing
consistent training for the personnel at each of
our centers. I stand with those who have been
harmed by any employee, contractor, or volunteer
at one of our centers, and I am prepared to help
eliminate ineffective practices and urge the
termination of those employees and contractors
(as well as the exclusion of volunteers) who
violate our policies in this area.

Let me also add that our training centers have
made a great difference in raising the standard
of training for blind people in this nation and
all around the world. As a graduate of one of our
centers, I share that pride for the training I
received but also the pain that even one person
coming through one of our centers would have had
a harmful experience. The employees at our
centers are some of the most dedicated and
thoughtful folks I know, and they are committed
to the safety and wellbeing of program
participants. However, that does not excuse
harmful incidents that have happened in our
training programs. I know our centers are
committed to doingbetter. I know the executive
directors and boards of each of these training
centers will be prioritizing the advancement of
these conversations. Most importantly, I know
they feel your pain in a very deep and personal way.

Again, these are immediate actions and
commitments. This is not a complete roadmap for
the years to come, but it outlines some of the
forthcoming actions we are focusing on. We know
that we need to examine more ways to support our
members such as mental health resources and the
expertise of crisis professionals. Members of the
Federation have a right to demand information
about what is being done, and Federation leaders
are expected to share that information. When we
committed to the code of conduct in 2018, we made
a commitment to a much-needed journey. Our
commitment has not wavered even if we have not
been outwardly demonstrating a commitment that
youcan trust. As leaders, we will continue to
work to earn your trust and we will remain
committed to continuous improvement and an open
dialogue for organizational change. We are
committed to finding ways to heal that pain,
while preventing any future pain that results
from unacceptable behavior. We are going to need
the ideas and support of the members of this
movement to do that in a meaningful and effective manner, so all are welcomed.

You continue to be our wise teachers. You who
have shared your personal experiences and who
have dared to open yourselves continue to guide
us. In the National Federation of the Blind, we
value diversity, we strive to be fully inclusive,
and we want to be the safe space for all blind
people. Every blind person in this nation
deserves what this movement has to offer, and we
recognize we have work to do so that every blind
person feels like there is a place here for
everyone. We are going to get there together. We
apologize that we have not yet made it all the
way, but we pledge that the commitment is deep
and it is real. We are not done with our changes.

With love and commitment, we are #MarchingTogether.

­ Mark Riccobono, President
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19462&qid=4709062>officeofthepresident at nfb.org,
410-659-9314

The National Federation of the Blind Board of
Directors shown below requested that the
President write an open letter regarding our
commitments. By signing below, each of us affirms
our support and commitment to the content of the
letter above. Anybody with concerns regarding the
content of this letter, the commitments that have
been expressed, or potential incidents that may
have happened at Federation events are welcome to
contact any of the individuals endorsing this statement.

Pam Allen, First Vice President and Board Chair,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19463&qid=4709062>pallen at louisianacenter.org,
318-251-2891

Ron Brown, Second Vice President,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19464&qid=4709062>rb15 at iquest.net,
317-213-7031

James Gashel, Secretary,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19465&qid=4709062>jgashel0923 at gmail.com,
808-234-9259

Jeannie Massay, Treasurer,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19466&qid=4709062>jeanniemassay at gmail.com,
405-600-0695

Denise Avant,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19467&qid=4709062>davant1958 at gmail.com,
773-991-8050

Everette Bacon,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19468&qid=4709062>baconev at yahoo.com,
801-631-8108

Amy Buresh,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19469&qid=4709062>amy.buresh74 at gmail.com,
402-440-4722

Shawn Callaway,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19470&qid=4709062>callaway.shawn at gmail.com,
202-352-1511

Norma Crosby,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19471&qid=4709062>ncrosby at nfbtx.org,
281-968-7733

John Fritz,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19472&qid=4709062>president at nfbwis.org,
608-622-7632

Ever Lee Hairston,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19473&qid=4709062>ever.hairston at gmail.com,
323-654-2975

Carla McQuillan,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19474&qid=4709062>president at nfb-oregon.org,
541-653-9153

Amy Ruell,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19475&qid=4709062>aruell at comcast.net,
617-752-1116

Joe Ruffalo,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19476&qid=4709062>nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Terri Rupp,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19477&qid=4709062>terri.rupp at gmail.com,
702-524-0835

Adelmo Vigil,
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19478&qid=4709062>nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com,
575-921-5422

<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19454&qid=4709062>
Facebook Logo
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19454&qid=4709062>
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19455&qid=4709062>
Twitter Logo
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19455&qid=4709062>
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19456&qid=4709062>
Instagram Logo
 <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19457&qid=4709062>
YouTube Logo
 <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19458&qid=4709062>
Email Icon Image

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | 410-659-9314
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=15680&qid=4709062&h=ad54074e9e6cfa0c>Unsubscribe

<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=15680&qid=4709062&h=ad54074e9e6cfa0c>Opt
Out

<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19460&qid=4709062>Sign