[Nfbnet-members-list] We stand in solidarity with victims and survivors

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Fri Dec 11 21:59:24 UTC 2020

[]

<nfb.htm>
National Federation of the Blind logo and tagline live the life

The National Federation of the Blind Stands in
Solidarity with Victims and Survivors

Content warning: the following statement
addresses sensitive topics regarding sexual misconduct and violence.

In light of recent discussions taking place in
the blindness community, the National Federation
of the Blind offers this statement expressing our
unwavering commitment to supporting blind people
and others in our community while emphasizing the
importance of our NFB Code of Conduct. As the
leading civil rights organization of the blind in
the United States, every day we work to bring
equality, love, and hope to our community. The
blind community, like the rest of society, is not
immune to violence and sexual misconduct, and we
deeply regret and express our sincerest empathy
for any blind person who has suffered pain and
hardship frominstances of abuse and violence.

The National Federation of the Blind and our
affiliated training centers­the Louisiana Center
for the Blind, Colorado Center for the Blind, and
BLIND, Inc. ­strongly condemn sexual violence and
sexual misconduct of any kind. We stand in
solidarity with victims and survivors.
Additionally, we acknowledge how difficult it is
for many to come forward, and we continue to seek
avenues for victims and survivors to be heard. As
the collective voice of the nation’s blind, we
are committed to and welcome an ongoing process
of learning how to heal from past trauma, to
prevent future instances, and to protect victims
and survivors. In undertakingthis priority we
rely on learning, both through internal
discussion among members with lived experiences
as well as through consultation with outside
experts, to strengthen and improve our policies
and practices and to support victims and
survivors. To that end, we continually encourage
comment and seek input on these issues.

The National Federation of the Blind works hard
to create a welcoming and safe environment for
our members and the public. For several years
now, Federation leadership has endeavored to
understand how to appropriately handle the
difficult topics of sexual misconduct and other
forms of abuse within our organizational
structure. It has long been the policy of the
Federation to, at the very minimum, prohibit
sexual misconduct of any kind at our events or in
our programs and create the most inclusive,
welcoming, and safe environment to conduct our
business. In an effort to address our sexual
misconduct policy as well as other important
issues, in2018 we determined more was needed and
we created an additional written code of conduct
and grievance process to ensure that consistent
and assertive actions were taken. The written
code is only one aspect of committing more
organizational resources to the ongoing effort to
improve our Federation. As part of our normal
practice, we report instances of sexual abuse and
misconduct to law enforcement when necessary and
required, support victims in filing reports when
needed, report our findings to relevant
certifying entities when appropriate, and remove
members and employees from the organization when
warranted. We take all steps necessary to
maintain confidentiality and we do not tolerate
retaliation of any kind. Our code of conduct
isroutinely reviewed and continues to evolve as
we learn and grow in these efforts. Furthermore,
we continue to implement programs to support this
work throughout our organization. Nevertheless,
we know there is more work to be done, and it is
a priority for our organization to be a safe space.

If you feel unsafe, under imminent threat, or in
immediate danger, you should contact law
enforcement or other appropriate authorities.
This is also a reminder to our members to report
violations of our code, especially those
involving sexual misconduct or any form of abuse,
as soon as you are able, and a reminder that
concerns can be raised anonymously. Comments
about our policies and practices, or concerns and
reports alleging violations of the code, can be
recorded verbally at 410-659-9314, extension
2475, or sent via email to
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19380&qid=4667017>code at nfb.org.
Together with love, hope, and determination, we
will continue building the Federation to be the
most inclusive, safe, and welcoming place where
we support one another and carry out our
important, life-changing work. Our full NFB Code
of Conduct can be found at
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19381&qid=4667017>https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct.

This statement is also available on our website:
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19390&qid=4667017>https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-stands-solidarity-victims-and-survivors.

<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19382&qid=4667017>
Facebook Logo
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19382&qid=4667017>
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19383&qid=4667017>
Twitter Logo
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19383&qid=4667017>
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19384&qid=4667017>
Instagram Logo
 <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19385&qid=4667017>
YouTube Logo
 <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19386&qid=4667017>
Email Icon Image
 <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19387&qid=4667017>
Donate to the NFB Icon.
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19387&qid=4667017>
National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | 410-659-9314
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=15630&qid=4667017&h=0f825893b50d9773>Unsubscribe

<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=15630&qid=4667017&h=0f825893b50d9773>Opt
Out

<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=19388&qid=4667017>Sign