[Nfbnet-members-list] Participants needed for research study on women with disabilities who experienced abuse while living in a rural area

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Fri Jun 14 14:49:18 UTC 2019

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

The Rural, Safety, and Resilience Study

Partnering with Women with Disabilities-Your Story Matters!

Fellow federationists, I am recruiting volunteers for my dissertation research study.

You qualify to participate if:

  *   You are at least 21 years old

  *   You experienced abuse or violence at least one or more years ago while living outside a major metropolitan area. Abuse includes physical, sexual, or emotional threats to your personal safety

  *   You had the disability before the experience of violence

  *   Your disability makes a difference in how you see, hear, learn, understand, or move around

This study involves an interview. I can complete your interview over the phone, or in person if you are attending the national convention. You will receive a small payment for your time and participation in this study.

The goal of this research is to learn more about how women with disabilities who have experienced violence learn about, select, and access help when they live outside a major urban area. This research will also highlight strategies women with disabilities use to keep going, or build resilience. Information from interviews will help create awareness of this problem, and will lead to important recommendations for organizations that provide services to other survivors with disabilities.

Please call or text Kimberly Aguillard (Principal Investigator) at (713) 487-7640 or email Kimberly.aguillard at uth.tmc.edu<mailto:Kimberly.aguillard at uth.tmc.edu> to learn more. Please write RSRS in the subject line.

This research study has the approval of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Institutional Review Board

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Deputy Executive Director, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer