[Nfbnet-members-list] Delta Airlines Service animal Policy Evolves

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 1 01:47:23 UTC 2018

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

Dear Members & Supporters,

                 On January 19, 2018, Delta Airlines circulated a
news release announcing their new policy concerning the carriage of
emotional support and psychiatric service animals, as well as trained
service animals, in the aircraft cabin. This new policy, scheduled to
take effect on March 1, 2018, was in response to a growing safety
concern over emotional support and psychiatric service animals (ESAs)
and negatively impacted those of us who use guide and other trained
service dogs. This policy required those intending to travel with
their trained guide or other service animals to notify the company at
least 48 hours in advance of their travel, submit documentation of
the dog's immunization record, and required those accompanied by
service animals to check in at the customer service counter rather
than curbside, online, or through a self-service kiosk. The National
Federation of the Blind and its special interest division, the
National Association of Guide Dog Users, expressed our concern over
this policy, believing it was incongruent with the Air Carrier Access
Act (ACAA). We requested a face-to-face meeting with Delta Airlines
and met with them on February 2 at their headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.

                 During this meeting, Anil Lewis, Executive Director
of the Jernigan Institute, and I began a productive dialogue with
upper level management of Delta, including the chair of their
advisory board on disability. As a result of this meeting and through
scores of email messages, Delta Airlines and the National Federation
of the Blind circulated a joint news release announcing an enhanced
service animal policy that seemed congruent with the ACAA. However,
Delta's website concerning this policy did not seem to reflect our
mutual understanding contained in the press release. We continued our
dialogue with Delta to create an official policy statement that more
closely aligns with our interpretation of the ACAA while ensuring the
safety of all of Delta's passengers.

                 I am pleased to announce that the National
Federation of the Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog
Users have worked collaboratively with Delta Airlines to create a
policy that protects the civil rights of the blind and other disabled
individuals who use guide or service animals while ensuring the
safety of all Delta passengers. This current policy states,

If you are traveling with a trained service animal, in some cases you
may be asked to show:
1.      The animal's Veterinary Health Form and/or an immunization
record or other proof that the animal's vaccinations are current
within one year of the travel date
2.      While not required, customers are encouraged to upload this
documentation to <https://www.delta.com/mytrips/>My Trips through the
Accessibility Service Request Form

You can view the source file by following the link below

<Delta%20Airlines%20Service%20Animal%20Policy%20Evolves-.htm>Delta's
Service Animal Policy

                 Delta assures us valid tags issued by your local
animal services department will suffice as "other proof that the
animal's vaccinations are current". The National Federation of the
Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog Users will be hosting
officials from Delta Airlines at our Jernigan Institute in the near
future to discuss the specific procedures to implement this policy.
As these procedures are created, we will circulate them widely so
that all Delta Patrons who use service animals will understand their
rights and responsibilities under this policy. We are also aware that
other airlines are watching this policy evolve and we are working
proactively with other airlines to help them create and implement
sound effective policies. We will keep our membership and the flying
public abreast of our advocacy efforts on this issue.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between
blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want!
Blindness is not what holds you back.