[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Job Seeker Seminar and Career Fair Employers

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Jun 30 01:02:03 UTC 2018

Below and attached is information on this year’s Job Seeker Seminar and Career Fair.

NFB Employment Committee Job Seeker Seminar 2018

“Meeting the Challenges of Today’s Job Market”

Wednesday July 4, Wekiwa 3, Level 2

Employment Committee Chairperson – Dick Davis

Seminar Leaders – Corbb O’Connor, Brian Dulude, PhD, and Suzanne Turner

1:00 p.m. – “Meeting the Challenges of Today’s Job Market” – Dick Davis, Chairperson, NFB Employment Committee

1:15 p.m. Entry Level Employment Panel:

·        “Are You Going to Burn Yourself Here?  Advocacy Lessons from a Summer Job.” – Corbb O’Connor, Member, NFB Employment Committee

·        “What I Learned Working at FedEx.” – Bobby Binns, Package Handler, FedEx

·        “Sustainable Careers at Beyond Vision.” – Sarah Zellmer, Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Beyond Vision, Milwaukee, WI

·        Questions, answers and discussion

2:00 p.m. Employer Panel:

·        “How to Get a Job in the Technology Industry.” – David Ortiz, Oracle

·        “What Fortune 1500 Employers Want.” – Shannon Offord and Mikey Meagher, DirectEmployers Association

·        “Jobs in Banking and Financial Services.” – Christy Lynch, TD Bank NA

·        “Self-Employment in a Sound Career.” – Derek Lane, I See Music, LLC (Derek is also recording our seminar.)

·        Questions, answers, and discussion

2:45 p.m. Breaking Barriers (featured in breakout session #1):

·        “EEOC, Federal Employment, and Your Rights.” – Elaine McArthur, Outreach & Education Coordinator, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

·        “How CAP Services Can Help You Achieve Your Goals.” – Howard Bell, Disability Rights Florida

·        “Making Employment Systems and Processes Accessible – We Need Your Help!” – Eve Hill, Partner, Brown Goldstein & Levy

·        Questions, answers, and discussion

3:15 p.m.  Networking (featured in breakout session #2):

·        “Network or perish – How to Really Get a Job!” – Michael Bullis, Member, NFB Employment Committee

·        “NFB Mentoring – Best in the World!” – Maurice Peret, Coordinator of Career Mentoring Programs, NFB

·        Questions, answers, and discussion

3:50 p.m. “Putting It All into Practice.” – Brian Dulude, PhD, Member, NFB Employment Committee.

6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Breakout Sessions (Wekiwa 1, 2, and 3, but come to Wekiwa 3 to start):

1.   Self-advocacy – Elaine McArthur, Howard Bell, and Eve Hill

2.   Networking – Michael Bullis and Dick Davis

3.   Interviewing and resumes – Corbb O’Connor, Brian Dulude, and Tracy Soforenko, President, NFB of Virginia

2018 NFB National Career Fair

Saturday, July 7, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., Panzacola Ballroom F-3 and F-4, Level 1

List of Employers by Table Number

Jobseekers: The Career Fair starts promptly at 7 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m.  As you enter the door to the ballroom, the first table you encounter will be table #1.  Table numbers will continue to increase as you go clockwise along the outside of the room.  To avoid waiting, you can start anywhere in the room.  You can skip tables or jump ahead.  Tables in the center of the room are for you to rest, make notes, and network.  We will have committee members there to provide information, but cannot offer sighted guide services unless you have special needs and make advance arrangements by calling Employment Committee Chairperson Dick Davis at 612-719-0753 or Committee Member Brian Dulude at 801-616-2175.

1.      Aira Tech Corp – platinum sponsor

2.      United Parcel Service (UPS) - Fortune 500 – platinum sponsor

3.      Oracle - Fortune 500 – gold sponsor

4.      Amazon - Fortune 500 – silver sponsor

5.      NReach – bronze sponsor

6.      Wells Fargo & Company - Fortune 500 – bronze sponsor

7.      LC Industries – white cane sponsor

8.      Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) - Fortune 500 – white cane sponsor

9.      Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind: Alabama Freedom Center for the Blind

10.  American Printing House for the Blind (APH)

11.  Beyond Vision

12.  BLIND, Inc.

13.  Colorado Center for the Blind

14.  Deloitte Consulting, LLP – Fortune 500

15.  Direct Employers Association – 900+ Fortune 1500 members

16.  Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

17.  Greensboro Industries of the Blind

18.  IFB Solutions

19.  Industries for the Blind Milwaukee

20.  Iowa Department for the Blind

21.  Lighthouse Central Florida/Lighthouse Works

22.  Louisiana Center for the Blind

23.  Minnesota State Services for the Blind

24.  National Federation of the Blind (NFB)

25.  National Federation of the Blind Legal Program

26.  National Industries for the Blind (NIB)

27.  New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

28.  Saavi Services for the Blind

29.  San Francisco Lighthouse for the Blind

30.  TD Bank NA - Fortune 500

New Registration System for 2018 NFB Career Fair

Dear 2018 NFB Career Fair Attendees:

This year, we have developed an online registration system for the 2018 NFB Career Fair. It is available by either clicking on the following link, or by copying and pasting the link into your browser, whichever works best for you:

 <http://www.buyblind.com/NFB2018JobFairRegJobSeek.php> http://www.buyblind.com/NFB2018JobFairRegJobSeek.php

You can register in three ways:

1.    Fill out the online form and submit it, along with your resume if you have one.

2.    Send an email to  <mailto:NFBEmployment at gmail.com> NFBEmployment at gmail.com containing the information in the online form, and we’ll enter it for you. You can attach your resume too.

3.    Send an email to  <mailto:NFBEmployment at gmail.com> NFBEmployment at gmail.com with your phone number and we’ll contact you and take your information over the phone.  You can attach your resume. Tell us the best time to call you.

You will be able to register online through July 7, the day of the fair. The system is still new, so if you run into questions or problems, please contact Scott Cavna or his assistant at  <mailto:NFBEmployment at gmail.com> NFBEmployment at gmail.com.

We’ll have people available at the convention to register you for the career fair, but it saves time for you and us if you take a little time to register before then. You do have to register for the Career Fair to be admitted. There is no charge to do so.

We encounter many employers who are interested in statistics on the number, types, and qualifications of people who attend the Career Fair. That is why we are asking for so much information on the registration form.  We are collecting resumes to be able to share them with employers, but we will ask you for permission to do so first.

Questions or problems?  Email  <mailto:NFBEmployment at gmail.com> NFBEmployment at gmail.com.

Dick Davis

Employment Committee Chair

Thank you,