[Nfbnet-members-list] #14CIsNotForMe

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Jun 23 15:46:06 UTC 2018

Fellow Federationists,

Monday, June 25, is the 80th anniversary of the passage of the Fair Labor Standards Act. As members of the National Federation of the Blind, we stand against Section 14(c), a provision that allows segregated workshops, like some of those operated by Goodwill Industries, to obtain a Special Wage Certificate from the U.S. Department of Labor that allows them to legally pay workers with disabilities less than the federal minimum wage. We know that this antiquated practice traps workers with disabilities in low-paying, menial work and that a minimum wage should apply to everyone. That’s why we support the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act.

On Monday, we, along with other advocacy groups, will be taking to social media to educate people about this issue. We will be using the hashtags #timeforTIME and #14CIsNotForMe, and we need you to help raise awareness. Below are some sample tweets you can use, or you can feel free to post something you write yourself.

As we mark the 80th birthday of the Fair Labor Standards Act and the benefits it provides working Americans, it is important to remember that it excludes workers with disabilities. #timeforTIME #14CIsNotForMe

Over the last 80 years, working conditions have improved. But people with disabilities can still be segregated and paid less than the minimum wage. #timeforTIME #14CIsNotForMe

I believe that people with disabilities deserve fair treatment and fair pay. #timeforTIME #14CIsNotForMe

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at kanderson at nfb.org or 410 659-9314, extension 2243.

Warmly,

Karen Anderson

Karen Anderson

Social Media Coordinator

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2243 | KAnderson at nfb.org

 <https://nfb.org/> National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind> Facebook     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice> Twitter     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind> Youtube

---