[Nfbnet-members-list] Participants needed for research study on confidence level in orientation and mobility post O&M training

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Tue Dec 11 14:27:29 UTC 2018

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

My name is Merry-Noel Chamberlain, and I am a doctoral student in Transformational Leadership at Concordia University out of Portland, Oregon. I am conducting an online study investigating confidence levels in Orientation and Mobility (O&M), post O&M training.  This involves how often and how far people travel away from their home environment after they have completed formal O&M training.

The targeted population for this survey are individuals who:

1)   Are blind or visually impaired.

2)   Completed *formal Orientation & Mobility (O&M) training in or after 1999 in the United States. (* = Formal training consists of instruction received in a state or private rehabilitation training center designed for individuals with visual impairments.)

3)   Did not receive any *formal Orientation & Mobility training from a private or state rehabilitation agency prior to the age of 20.

4)   Are between the ages of 20 and 70 (including the age of 20 and the age of 70).

5)   Are NOT current or former O&M instructors.

6)   Are NOT guide dog users.

7)   Do not have additional disabilities (hearing impairment, mental, physical or other health concerns) which hinders independent travel.

This study consists of an online survey, which will take about a half an hour to complete. In exchange for participation, participants will have the opportunity to enter a raffle drawing for one of four $25 Visa gift card. All responses will be anonymous and confidential.

Follow this link to the Survey:
Take the Survey<https://cuportland.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U043RHIJS8YNIV?Q_DL=9RLM50Wn1PtT2SN_0U043RHIJS8YNIV_MLRP_3FaEtijh3Z3e2CF&Q_CHL=email>

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser:
https://cuportland.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U043RHIJS8YNIV?Q_DL=9RLM50Wn1PtT2SN_0U043RHIJS8YNIV_MLRP_3FaEtijh3Z3e2CF&Q_CHL=email<https://cuportland.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U043RHIJS8YNIV?Q_DL=9RLM50Wn1PtT2SN_0U043RHIJS8YNIV_MLRP_3FaEtijh3Z3e2CF&Q_CHL=email>

There are no risks to participating in this study other than the everyday risk of being on your computer as you take this survey. For me, I will receive the benefit of your answers which will help me understand your travel experiences/habits after your formal O&M training. In turn, you could benefit by reflecting on your own travel experiences/habits post your instruction.

All data is collected anonymously.  The data you provide will be held privately within the on-line survey instrument. In the options section, if you were to write additional comments that made it to where we predict that someone could possibly deduce your identity, we would not include this information in any publication or report. All data will be destroyed three years after the study ends. At any time, you can discontinue answering the questions in this online survey. Please print a copy of this for your records.

If you have questions you can talk to or write the principal investigator, Merry-Noel Chamberlain at

mechamberlain at mail2.cu-portland.edu<mailto:mechamberlain at mail2.cu-portland.edu>.

Thank you!

Merry-Noel Chamberlain,

Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments, MA

Orientation & Mobility Certified, MA

https://cuportland.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U043RHIJS8YNIV?Q_CHL=social&Q_SocialSource=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1YsrcVfnFIpHO3Qa1awV9KfRbcHSnjRQWUPqxKEYN_e83sBiApZ3y1osI<https://cuportland.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U043RHIJS8YNIV?Q_CHL=social&Q_SocialSource=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1YsrcVfnFIpHO3Qa1awV9KfRbcHSnjRQWUPqxKEYN_e83sBiApZ3y1osI>

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Deputy Executive Director, Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221| lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer