[Nfbnet-members-list] correction to Aira Call

Michael Hingson michael.hingson at aira.io
Tue Oct 17 01:07:16 UTC 2017

Hello,
The call this week is on Thursday, October 19,
Not Wednesday. Here is the revised letter.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson
Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have conducted
conference calls about Aira, the visual
interpreter for the blind. The response has been
tremendous and I thank all of you who have
participated. Many of you have written with
questions as well as asking when I will be
holding another call. So, I have scheduled
another call for Thursday, October 19, 2017, to
introduce you to Aira. Since some of you have
said you cannot make a Wednesday call we are trying a different day this time.

Perhaps you have heard of Aira or perhaps you
have not yet heard of this incredible product. We
call Aira “a visual interpreter for blind and
low vision persons”. With Aira anyone can
accomplish tasks usually inaccessible to blind
people because they require significant eye sight
to perform them, more eye sight than we have ourselves.

So, what is Aira exactly? Aira is a product
consisting of smart glasses with a tiny
high-resolution video camera, an app on a
smartphone, and a specially trained agent who
describes the images seen by the glasses’
camera. To use Aira a blind person contacts Aira
through the Aira app. When a request is made an
agent is called by the smartphone while at the
same time a video internet connection is
established between the agent and the glasses.
When the agent answers the call from the user,
not only does the agent see what the camera
transmits, but they also receive gps and Google
map data showing where the user is and what is geographically around them.

Agents are specifically hired because they have
an aptitude for describing and providing
information as required. They go through special
training and a rigorous battery of tests before
they are permitted to accept calls and go to
work. Aira agents do not help, but rather they
provide information. If, for example, you use
Aira while walking and you approach a street
corner the Aira agent will not tell you when it
is safe to cross the street. The agent can
indicate it they see cars coming and they can
tell you when the traffic light turns green for
you. Aira does not replace canes, guide dogs or
your travel skills. Instead, Aira enhances your
toolbox of information gathering techniques.

People have used Aira to go shopping, travel
through airports and malls, better perform
household tasks such as identifying and preparing
meals, putting on makeup, visiting places such as
amusement parks and Arlington cemetery,
assembling items and even running in the Boston
Marathon. Aira is limited in what it can do only by your imagination.

If you want to learn more about Aira you are
invited to attend the teleconference call on
Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 2PM Hawaiian time,
5PM Pacific time, 6PM Mountain time, 7PM Central
time, and 8PM Eastern time. If you are wondering
why I list all times it is because I want to
point out that Aira is available to everyone
throughout the United States. Oh yes, this does
include Alaska which means some may be calling in
at 9PM. To attend all you need to do is to dial
in with the phone number (605) 468-8004, and
enter the access code 329906# when the call is
answered. During the call, you will learn all you
wish to know about Aira. We shall be conducting a
live demonstration with an Aira agent assisting
me, or at least describing to you what I am doing
as well as helping me answer your questions.

Should you have questions you wish to ask me
before the call please feel free to contact me
directly at
<mailto:michael.hingson at aira.io>michael.hingson at aira.io
and I will do my best to provide a timely
response. I hope to see you next Thursday and I
look forward to you joining the Aira family.
Below my signature are some links you can click
on to learn more about Aira. Thank you for your time. Â

Best regards

Michael Hingson
Director of Strategic Sales

<http://t.sidekickopen65.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XZsdDZfnVRrQh84X9HszW8qC6LR56dDBKf4d23G202?t=https%3A%2F%2Fmedium.com%2F%40kevinphelan%2Fmeet-aira-the-startup-thats-bringing-jack-bauer-s-secret-weapon-chloe-to-real-life-cd058afd540%23.wn2bfzxz6&si=5061981071605760&pi=b12cff5d-4312-443a-8be4-75b24a994ebd>Aira
Overview Blog

- A primer on Aira.

<http://t.sidekickopen65.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XZsdDZfnVRrQh84X9HszW8qC6LR56dDBKf4d23G202?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2016%2F12%2F22%2Fthis-technology-helps-guide-the-blind-and-visually-impaired.html&si=5061981071605760&pi=b12cff5d-4312-443a-8be4-75b24a994ebd>Aira
on CNBCÂ
-Â
Meet Candice Jordan ​ ​an amazing Aira user and advocate.
<http://t.sidekickopen65.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XZsdDZfnVRrQh84X9HszW8qC6LR56dDBKf4d23G202?t=http%3A%2F%2Fblindabilities.com%2Fbapresents%2Faira-series-part-2-meet-nicholas-giudice-michael-hingson-and-cheryl-spencer-aira-users%2F&si=5061981071605760&pi=b12cff5d-4312-443a-8be4-75b24a994ebd>Blind
Abilities Podcast - Independent review of Aira.
Aira, a Visual Interpreter for the Blind
HYPERLINK "mailto: +1-415-827-40842" \t "_blank"
+1-415-827-4084Â |Â HYPERLINK
"mailto:michael.hingson at aira.io" \t "_blank"
<mailto:michael.hingson at aira.io>michael.hingson at aira.ioÂ
HYPERLINK "<http://aira.io/>http://aira.io/" \t