[Nfbnet-members-list] Reminder - White cane Awareness Day - You Can Help

Chang, Patti PChang at nfb.org
Wed Oct 11 00:30:14 UTC 2017

Fellow Federationists:

Just a reminder that this Sunday, October 15 is
White Cane Awareness Day! You can help teach the
world what the white cane means to blind people
by sharing the
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrrGadn6u4&t=15s>NFB’s
new educational YouTube video and encouraging
others to <nfb.htm>give the gift of independence
by participating in White Cane Giving .

More information is below. If you have questions,
events to share, or need more information, reach
out to
<mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org>communicationsteam at nfb.org.
Follow along with #WhiteCaneAwarenessDay and #WhiteCaneGiving.

Thank you very much for all you do!
*****

White Cane Awareness Day: teach the world about
what the white cane means to blind people
The National Federation of the Blind will be
celebrating White Cane Awareness Day on Sunday,
October 15. This day is an opportunity to share
how the white cane makes it possible to be an
active and independent blind person and break
down misconceptions about blindness.

This year, we are using the excitement around
this special day to raise funds to support our
programs. Please support this via social media
with the #WhiteCaneGiving hashtag. Join the
nationwide celebration by engaging your own
community and sharing how the white cane leads to
independence. Here are some things you can do:

    * Post the following language on your
affiliate’s website with a link to
<http://www.nfb.org/donate2017>the giving page:
White canes help blind people live the lives we
want. The white cane does more than tell the
sighted that we're blind; it is a tool for
freedom and self-determination because it allows
blind people to come and go on our own. Since we
can travel safely and independently, we can
contribute in the workplace, in our communities,
and in society.
<file:///C:\Users\Stephanie%20Eller\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\Content.Outlook\A9SNU9SA\nfb.org\donate2017>Celebrate
White Cane Awareness Day on October 15 by giving the gift of independence.
·         Ask your mayor or governor to sign the
White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation found on
our <http://nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day>website.
·         Demonstrate how you use your cane at
your next community meeting, senior event, or
school show-and-tell.  Our
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-celebrates-white-cane-awareness-day>recent
blog post has other ideas.
·         Subscribe to the
<https://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind>NFB’s
YouTube channel and share the new uploads. A new
educational video about how we use our canes will be posted soon.
·         Tweet what your white cane means to you
with the hashtag #WhiteCaneGiving or use some of the sample tweets below:
    * Your support can help blind people live the
lives we want. Donate today! nfb.org/donate2017 #WhiteCaneGiving
    * We send free white canes to those who need
them. A $50 gift could give mobility to a blind
person #WhiteCaneGiving <http://www.nfb.org/donate2017>www.nfb.org/donate2017
    * October 15 we’re celebrating
#WhiteCaneAwarenessDay, a day to emphasize the
role the white cane plays in living the lives we want
Useful links
Donation page: <http://www.nfb.org/donate2017>www.nfb.org/donate2017
White Cane Awareness Day page:
<http://www.nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day>www.nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day
NFB YouTube channel:
<http://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind>www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind
If you have questions, events to share, or need
more information, reach out to
<mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org>communicationsteam at nfb.org .

Patti Chang Esq.
<mailto:pchang at nfb.org>pchang at nfb.org