[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Announces 2017 Scholarship Program Finalists

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Thu May 11 22:43:39 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2017 Scholarship Program Finalists

Baltimore, Maryland (May 11, 2017): The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind
people, today announced the finalists for its 2017 Scholarship
Program, which awards thirty scholarships each year to recognize
achievement by blind scholars. The students are listed below in
alphabetical order with their home states and vocational goals.
    * Lindsay Ball, ME: Adaptive physical education teacher
    * Cricket Bidleman, CA: Anthropology professor
    * Katherine Brafford, CA: Work at the intersection of science and religion
    * Aneri Brahmbhatt, IL: Record label manager
    * Shannon Cantan, HI: Business administration
    * Melissa Carney, CT: Clinical psychologist
    * Trinh Ha, AR: Dietitian
    * Afton Harper, MO: Journalism
    * Qusay Hussein, TX: Psychologist
    * Catherine Jacobson, MN: Healthcare policy analyst
    * Cassandra Mendez, OH: Assistive technology developer
    * Tabea Meyer, CO: Advocate for marginalized groups
    * Ibeth Miranda, TX: University professor
    * Regina D. Mitchell, NV: Psychologist
    * Jackie Mushington-Anderson, GA: Braille instructor
    * Maureen Nietfeld, CO: Dietitian/Nutritionist
    * Efose Oriaifo, VA: Biotechnology
    * Chelsea Peahl, UT: Law/Advocacy
    * Gloria Rodriguez, WA: Disaster mitigation and emergency preparedness
    * Carla L. Scroggins, CA: International politics
    * Luke Schwink, KS: Athletic marketing/Player development
    * Alyssa Shock, NJ: Child psychologist
    * Heather Simmons, CA: Literature professor
    * Wayne Smith III, MD: Computer engineering/Data security
    * Andrew Sydlik, PA: English teacher or disability advocate
    * Sophie Trist, LA: Novelist
    * Rachel Wellington, GA: STEM career
    * James N. Yesel, ND: Entrepreneur
    * Zeynep S. Yilmaz, AZ: Rehabilitation counselor education
    * Ayoub Zurikat, TX: Mental health care provider

"The scholarship program is one of our most important initiatives,"
said Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the
Blind. "We are proud to honor these blind scholars, who are studying
everything from biotechnology to anthropology, and to welcome each of
them to our upcoming national convention and to the family of the
National Federation of the Blind. The accomplishments of these
outstanding students are proof of our conviction that we, the blind
of this nation, can live the lives we want; blindness does not hold us back."

Each finalist will attend the NFB's seventy-seventh annual national
convention, beginning July 10, in Orlando, Florida, where the
Scholarship Committee will spend several days getting to know each
student and then decide which scholarship (ranging in value from
$3,000 to $12,000) to award each of them. The scholarship winners
will then be announced at the banquet of the NFB National Convention
on Saturday, July 15.

For more information on the National Federation of the Blind
Scholarship Program, visit
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8404&qid=1788651>www.nfb.org/scholarships.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind,
please visit:
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8405&qid=1788651>www.nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8406&qid=1788651>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8407&qid=1788651>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8408&qid=1788651>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8409&qid=1788651>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8410&qid=1788651>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=6794&qid=1788651&h=e07c41522a7ba2d1>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6794&qid=1788651&h=e07c41522a7ba2d1>Opt
Out