[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Comments on Secretary o f Education Nominee Betsy DeVos’ Remarks Regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Wed Jan 18 22:22:22 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
National Federation of the Blind Comments on
Secretary of Education Nominee Betsy DeVos’
Remarks Regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Baltimore, Maryland (January 18, 2017): The
National Federation of the Blind, the nation's
leading advocate for the equal education of blind
students, commented today on responses given by
President-elect Donald J. Trump’s nominee for
Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, at her
confirmation hearing yesterday regarding the
obligations of schools under the federal
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "The National
Federation of the Blind believes that all blind
students, regardless of where they attend school,
are entitled to equal educational opportunities,
and that the Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act and its implementing regulations
are clear on this point. Sadly, all too often
schools across the country fail to meet their
federal obligations to the blind and other
students with disabilities, and so it is critical
that the Department of Education continues to
enforce IDEA's requirements. We therefore call
upon Betsy DeVos to publicly commit that she
will, if confirmed, vigorously enforce IDEA and
take all other necessary measures to protect the
rights of students who are blind or who have
other disabilities throughout our nation. As a
father of two blind children and President of the
National Federation of the Blind, I am well aware
that innovation is sorely needed in educational
services provided to blind children, and we are
prepared to work closely with our nation’s
educational leaders to raise the standards of
excellence for the blind in our schools.”

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.