[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Issuance of "508 Refresh" Regulations

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon Jan 9 22:05:22 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Issuance of "508 Refresh" Regulations

Baltimore, Maryland (January 9, 2017): The National Federation of the
Blind, the nation's leading advocate for blind Americans to gain
equal access to information and technology, today applauded the
publication of new technical standards to bring information and
communication technology (ICT)  into compliance with section 508 of
the Rehabilitation act of 1973, which requires government agencies
and contractors to make their electronic information and technology
accessible to the blind and others with disabilities.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Information and communication Technology has changed a great
deal since the last Section 508 regulations were issued, and has
become an even more integral part of everyday life. Yet blind people,
particularly blind federal employees, continue to struggle with
access barriers when interacting with electronic and information
technology used or procured by federal agencies. For these reasons,
we are extremely pleased that the new Section 508 standards have
finally been published. Government agencies and contractors should
now understand how to make information and services accessible to the
blind, allowing federal employees to perform their job functions
effectively and other blind Americans to exercise our rights and
responsibilities as citizens."

In 1998, Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to require
Federal agencies to make their ICT accessible to people with
disabilities. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in
information technology, open new opportunities for people with
disabilities, and encourage development of technologies that will
help achieve these goals. The law applies to all Federal agencies
when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and
information technology.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330 | <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.