[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Proud to Present Documentary on Blind Youth

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Wed Apr 5 01:06:06 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Proud to Present Documentary on Blind Youth

Do You Dream in Color? Tells Stories of Blind Students

Baltimore, Maryland (April 4, 2017): The National
Federation of the Blind, in collaboration with
the filmmakers, is proud to present Do You Dream
in Color?, a new, critically acclaimed
documentary about blind youth and the educational
and societal challenges they face. The film,
directed by Abigail Fuller and Sarah Ivy, is
available through video-on-demand platforms from
Uncork’d Entertainment, and public screenings are being planned.

Connor, Nick, Sarah, and Carina are like most
teenagers navigating the growing pains of high
school, but unlike their peers these four teens
face another challenge – they’re blind. Do You
Dream in Color? is a poignant coming of age story
that captures the inspired journeys of four
courageous teenagers as they strive to achieve
their goals: to be a sponsored skateboarder, to
travel the world, to become a rock star and to be
the first family member to graduate high school.
Their extraordinary stories shine a provocative
light on both the social and institutional
obstacles faced by people who are blind in the
sighted world and what it takes to surmount these barriers.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "This film is a
beautiful and powerful chronicle of four young
people striving to achieve their goals and live
the lives they want in the face of the low
expectations and misconceptions that too often
erect barriers between blind people and our
dreams. In particular, the film accurately
portrays the ways in which our public education
system fails blind students. Watching it deeply
moved me and made me more determined, as a blind
person, a father of blind children, and the
leader of the National Federation of the Blind,
to fight all the harder for young people like the
courageous, focused, and charismatic teens we see
on screen. The National Federation of the Blind
is pleased and proud to work with the makers and
distributors of this well-crafted and
enlightening movie to bring it to a wider
audience. This collaboration is a natural fit for
us because the film highlights the need for our
continuing work to
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7960&qid=1757799>promote
Braille literacy, expand opportunities for blind
students in
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7961&qid=1757799>STEM
education, advocate for
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7962&qid=1757799>equal
access to educational technology, and fight for
the
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7963&qid=1757799>legal
and civil rights of blind students throughout the
nation. We believe that the stories told in this
film will spark discussion and enhance
understanding of the true challenges faced by the
blind, as well as demonstrating that blindness
itself is not the characteristic that defines an
individual or his or her future."

A winner with film festival audiences and
critics, garnering major awards at the Dallas
International Film Festival, San Luis Obispo
International Film Festival, and Big Sky
Documentary Film Festival, Do You Dream in Color?
has been described as “powerfully human" by Truth
on Cinema and as "a film that will touch your
head and your heart" by Unseen Films.

For more information, including the trailer and
where and how to experience the film, visit
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7964&qid=1757799>www.doyoudreamincolor.com.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7965&qid=1757799>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7966&qid=1757799>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7967&qid=1757799>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7968&qid=1757799>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7969&qid=1757799>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=6425&qid=1757799&h=45b8530144bc2d0e>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6425&qid=1757799&h=45b8530144bc2d0e>Opt
Out |