[Nfbnet-members-list] Lyft, National Federation of the Blind Announce Accessibility Improvements for Riders Who Travel with Service Animals

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Mon Apr 3 21:50:37 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Scott Coriell
Lyft
(802) 353-1449
<mailto:scoriell at lyft.com>scoriell at lyft.com

Lyft and the National Federation of the Blind Announce Comprehensive
Accessibility Improvements for Lyft Riders Who Travel with Service Animals

Lyft and the National Federation of the Blind today announced a
collaborative effort to ensure reliable and equal service to
individuals who are blind and use service animals. Lyft's affirmative
and proactive efforts will help ensure its convenient and affordable
transportation services are available to riders who are blind and use
service animals across the United States.

As part of that effort, Lyft today kicked off the company's first
Service Animal Month, which is part of a multi-pronged initiative to
ensure that all individuals with disabilities who travel with service
animals on the Lyft platform can fully enjoy the benefits of
connecting with drivers through the Lyft app.

Lyft has also announced a new policy which clarifies that every Lyft
rider who has a service animal must be accommodated, regardless of a
driver's preferences or circumstances. Lyft drivers who don't comply
with the new policy may face immediate and permanent deactivation
from the platform.  Lyft is also committing to a number of driver
education initiatives that are aimed squarely at raising awareness of
the new service animal policy amongst its driver community.  Drivers
will be educated about the new service animal policy through videos,
announcements, and other outreach, that will begin as soon as a
driver is approved to perform rides, and will continue throughout the
driver's business relationship with Lyft. Lyft is also working to
improve customer service for blind riders.

Lucy Greco, Accessibility Evangelist for UC Berkeley said "I am so
pleased that Lyft was willing to work with us to improve access for
riders with service animals.  I look forward to using Lyft once the
changes are in place."

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Companies like Lyft are empowering blind people to live the
lives we want by providing fast, convenient and affordable
transportation. This empowerment can only be real and complete,
however, if all blind people, including those who use guide dogs, are
able to access the service when and where they need it, without fear
that they will be refused service. My wife Melissa uses a guide dog,
and consequently our family has occasionally experienced the refusal
of transportation services, which violates the legal and civil rights
of the blind and people with disabilities. The National Federation of
the Blind applauds Lyft's commitment to improve its service to guide
dog users, and we look forward to working with Lyft to ensure that
its efforts to do so are meaningful and effective."

Laura Copeland, Lyft's Head of Community said, "Lyft is excited to
partner with the NFB to confirm its commitment that everyone who
requests a ride through the Lyft app is provided with equal service,
regardless of whether the rider is accompanied by a service
animal.  At Lyft, we are committed to creating a community where
everyone feels welcome, comfortable, and respected.  Drivers should
always say yes when it comes to transporting riders with service animals."

Lyft is implementing these changes pursuant to an agreement with the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB), and Lucy Greco and Lynda
Johnson, who both travel with guide dogs. NFB, Ms. Greco, and Ms.
Johnson were represented by Michael Bien, Gay C. Grunfeld and Michael
Nunez of Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld LLP, Mary-Lee K. Smith and
Julia Marks of Disability Rights Advocates, and Timothy Elder of the
TRE Legal Practice, in the negotiations that led to these changes.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

About Lyft

Lyft was founded in June 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer to
improve people's lives with the world's best transportation. Lyft is
the fastest growing rideshare company in the U.S and is available in
more than 300 cities. Lyft is preferred by drivers and passengers for
its safe and friendly experience, and its commitment to effecting
positive change for the future of our cities.

About the TRE Legal Practice

TRE Legal is a law firm focusing on the rights of blind people,
including the right to independently access technology-based
services.  For more information, visit
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7928&qid=1755722>www.trelegal.com.

About Disability Rights Advocates

DRA is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center advancing
equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of
disabilities nationwide. For more information, visit
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7929&qid=1755722>www.dralegal.org,
or contact Julia Marks, <mailto:jmarks at dralegal.org>jmarks at dralegal.org.

About Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld LLP

Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld LLP is a law firm that has extensive
experience representing people with disabilities in litigation
against public and private entities. For more information, visit
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7930&qid=1755722>http://rbgg.com/,
or contact Michael Nunez, <mailto:mnunez at rbgg.com>mnunez at rbgg.com.
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street