[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Praises Secretary Clinton's Remarks on Employment of People with Disabilities

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Wed Mar 30 14:49:31 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Praises
Secretary Clinton’s Remarks on Employment of People with Disabilities

Baltimore, Maryland (March 30, 2016): The
National Federation of the Blind  commented today
on recent remarks by Hillary Clinton in which she
called for ending “the tiered minimum wages for

¦ people with disabilities.”

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "The National
Federation of the Blind applauds Secretary
Clinton for stating boldly and unequivocally that
she rejects the discriminatory practice of paying
workers with disabilities subminimum wages. We
call upon the other presidential candidates to
join with us and over seventy-five other
organizations of people with disabilities in
supporting the repeal of Section 14(c) of the
Fair Labor Standards Act, and to reject the
misconceptions and low expectations that have for
too long kept people with disabilities from achieving our dreams.”

A provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act
dating from the law's enactment in 1938, known as
Section 14(c), allows facilities to apply for
special wage certificates that permit them to pay
workers with disabilities subminimum wages. About
three thousand entities pay more than 250,000
workers with disabilities wages as low as pennies
per hour, according to 2016 statistics from the
U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.