[Nfbnet-members-list] Print to Braille in Seconds: HumanWare Partners with KNFB Reader, LLC and National Federation of the Blind

Morey, Kristian KMorey at nfb.org
Mon Jul 25 18:11:26 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

CONTACT:
Nicolas Lagacé
Marketing Communications Manager
HumanWare
(888) 723-7273
<mailto:Nicolas.Lagace at humanware.com>Nicolas.Lagace at humanware.com

Print to Braille in Seconds:
HumanWare Partners with KNFB Reader, LLC and National Federation of the Blind

Longueuil, Quebec, and Baltimore, Maryland (July
25, 2016): Nearly every blind person encounters
print material on a daily basis­whether it is a
paper handout in a classroom or meeting,
inaccessible content on a screen, or personal
mail. In the past such situations would require
the blind person to ask for assistance and,
often, to wait for that assistance. The launch of
KNFB Reader for smartphones forever changed the
significance of receiving an inaccessible piece
of paper. Now a blind user can simply snap a
picture using their smartphone and have the print read to the user in seconds.

HumanWare, KNFB Reader, LLC (KNFB), and the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) have taken
instant access to print content even further.
Both HumanWare and NFB have always been primary
advocates of Braille literacy and share the
belief that Braille literacy is directly related
to success in employment. Building from this
belief, along with a desire to empower blind
people with a tool that can turn print into
Braille in seconds, HumanWare, KNFB, and the NFB
have partnered together to offer the KNFB Reader
as a freely included app on the BrailleNote Touch.

“Someone once told me they dreamt of a world
where all print material could instantly be
replaced with Braille. Today, with this
partnership, we are making that dream a reality,”
said Greg Stilson, HumanWare’s Product Manager of Blindness Products.

This March HumanWare launched the BrailleNote
Touch, the most powerful Braille productivity
tool ever built. The first and only
Google-certified Braille tablet, the BrailleNote
Touch combines the efficiency and simplicity of a
traditional Braille notetaker with the power and
open mainstream apps of an Android tablet.
Equipped with a customized touch surface or
optional Braille keyboard, a built-in Braille
display, and an 8-megapixel camera, the
combination of the BrailleNote Touch and the KNFB Reader is a natural marriage.

“As an organization that strives every day to
raise expectations for the blind, the National
Federation of the Blind applauds the work
HumanWare and Google have done to create an
innovative product that breaks down the
traditional barriers using assistive technology.
It was only fitting to empower this technology
with the best print recognition tool, and we are
excited that BrailleNote Touch users will
immediately have access to the KNFB Reader,” said
Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind.

HumanWare is aiming to include KNFB Reader in a
free BrailleNote Touch update this September. All
existing BrailleNote Touch users will receive a
notification on their device when this update
becomes available and can initiate the wireless update immediately.

###

For over 25 years, HumanWare’s inspirational
vision has resulted in a range of highly
intuitive and intelligent solutions that empower
people who are blind or with low vision by giving
them the independence to participate effectively
within a sighted world. From advanced Braille
products and electronic magnifiers to digital
talking book players and beyond, our tools help
end-users to live independently and compete effectively in today’s world.

For more information about HumanWare and the
BrailleNote Touch, please visit: <http://www.humanware.com>www.humanware.com.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National
Federation of the Blind, please visit: <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org.

To learn more about the KNFB Reader, please
visit:  <http://www.knfbreader.com>http://www.knfbreader.com.