[Nfbnet-members-list] Sad News, The Passing Away of Mike Freeman

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Dec 27 02:12:24 UTC 2016

I am very sad to have to tell you of the passing away of Mike
Freeman. See below for the announcement from Marci Carpenter,
President of the NFB of Washington.

Those of you who have used NFBNET in its various incarnations will
know that Mike was an integral part of our success. He was an
immediate and enthusiastic user of the service, when we went live in
June of 1991. In those days you had to use a dial-up modem to get to
our bulletinboard and there were only a few discussion areas, and
lots of files. Later on I asked Mike, and Steve Jacobson, to assist
with the monitoring of lists, as the traffic and number of lists had
increased dramatically.  He did this, as a volunteer for many years
and could always be counted on to help. As you know, he was President
of the NFB of Washington for a number of years, and was President of
our Diabetics Division. He also served on our R&D Committee, among
many other things, for many years. Even if you hadn't met Mike, you
probably knew him from his extraordinarily deep voice, as a human
sign, at NFB conventions. I and others participated on a Conference
Call with him this past Tuesday, and he sounded good, so this came as a shock!

Mike, thank you, and we will miss you!

Dave Andrews