[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind of Texas Commends Congressman Thornberry for Support of Veterans with Disabilities

Morey, Kristian KMorey at nfb.org
Mon Aug 29 14:48:45 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind of Texas Commends Congressman
Thornberry for Support of Veterans with Disabilities

Alvin, Texas (August 29, 2016): The National Federation of the Blind
of Texas commented today on the inclusion of language that would
allow more veterans with disabilities to participate in the Space
Available program in the House version of the National Defense
Authorization Act (NDAA) by Congressman Mac Thornberry, chairman of
the House Committee on Armed Services. Currently only medically
discharged veterans injured on or after September 23, 1996, can
participate in the program, while those injured prior to that date
while defending the United States cannot.

Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Texas, said: "Blind Texans are extremely grateful to Congressman
Thornberry for recognizing that the eligibility of veterans with
disabilities for the Space Available program should not arbitrarily
depend on when their disabilities were acquired and resulted in the
end of their military service. We support the language that
Congressman Thornberry has included in the House NDAA and urge that
it be adopted when the House and Senate versions of the legislation
are reconciled in conference this fall."

Shelly Alongi, of Burkburnett, Texas, said: "I'm very happy that my
representative, Mac Thornberry, supports this long-overdue correction
to the exclusion of some veterans with disabilities from this
program. Benefits for those who have made sacrifices in defending our
country should be available to all of them, regardless of when they
made their sacrifice."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.