[Nfbnet-members-list] Huffington Post: A Lot More Needs To Be Done To Help Blind People Use The Internet

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Thu Apr 7 14:24:11 UTC 2016

A Lot More Needs To Be Done To Help Blind People Use The Internet
Facebook’s new blind-friendly feature puts a small dent in a big problem.
Huffington Post – 04/06/2016
By Casey Williams

For the blind, navigating the digital world can
be as tricky as moving through the physical one.

Some companies have tried to make their sites
easier for the world’s 39 million blind people to
use. Facebook, for instance, just introduced a
new image-recognition feature that lets blind users “see” photos on the site.

But blind advocates say fixes like Facebook’s
don't solve the biggest obstacles blind people face online.

“We think it’s pretty cool,” Mark Riccobono, the
president of the National Federation of the
Blind, told The Huffington Post. “But we get
concerned about flashy technology.”

“For the average blind person, it’s not whether
they know something is in a photo or not that
determines whether they can do online banking,
pay their bills or buy groceries,” said Riccobono, who is blind.

Even as the Internet becomes an increasingly
necessary feature of modern life, much of the web
is difficult for blind people to use effectively.

A range of technologies exist to help blind
people navigate the web. Braille keyboards and
text-to-speech programs convert text to audio,
which allows blind people to consume information
on the web aurally. The devices can also
transform speech into text, which allows blind
people to “type.” These devices often work well
with thoughtfully designed websites. But they hit
snags when sites have elements that aren't
clearly labeled or are incompatible with keyboard
shortcuts, which blind people rely on.

“Websites that have been designed from the
beginning with accessibility in mind are easy for
blind people to use ­ they’re easy to navigate,
you can jump around pretty effectively and get
information as effectively as a sighted person,”
Riccobono said. But, he said, many sites still
have “artificial barriers” that make performing
basic online tasks difficult for blind users.

One of the biggest barriers is unclear labeling.
In order to describe what’s on a given webpage,
text-to-speech programs comb through the source
code for labels that describe the page’s
elements. They then say those labels aloud. If
elements aren't clearly labeled in the source
code ­ if a checkout button, say, is just labeled
“image” ­ it can make navigating the page very
frustrating for users who rely on spoken descriptions to move around the site.

“If I go on an e-commerce website and put stuff
in my cart, but get to the payment screen and
have trouble because the checkout button’s not
labeled ­ that’s a high degree of frustration,” Riccobono said.

Web developers can use accessibility guidelines
for blind users when designing their websites.
But even when they refer to those guidelines, web
companies don't always do a good job implementing them, Riccobono said.

“If you don't test [your code] for accessibility,
and a problem arises and it’s not dealt with,
then the code gets launched anyway,” he said.
Once finalized, it can be difficult to retrofit
websites to improve accessibility.

Blind advocates have urged the Obama
administration to update the Americans with
Disabilities Act to include explicit standards
for web accessibility for blind users. While
President Barack Obama initially seemed amenable
to the standards ­ in 2010, he named them among
“the most important updates to the ADA since its
original enactment” ­ last year his
administration quietly postponed consideration of
new web accessibility standards until 2018.

For Riccobono, updating the ADA is a necessary
step toward equal access for the blind.

“We need to do in the digital world the same
thing we've done in the physical world,” he said.
“The lack of standards makes it very difficult
for businesses to understand when they've met a
high standard of accessibility.”

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/blind-people-internet-accessibility_us_57051a56e4b0537661883b1c>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/blind-people-internet-accessibility_us_57051a56e4b0537661883b1c