[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Critical Funding Shortage Threatens NFB-NEWSLINE® in Maine

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Thu Oct 15 14:59:36 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Critical Funding Shortage Threatens NFB-NEWSLINE® in Maine

Blind and Print-Disabled Maine Residents May Lose Free,
Independent Access to Vital News and Information

Baltimore, MD (October 15, 2015): Due to lack of
funding, NFB-NEWSLINE®, a free service from the
National Federation of the Blind that provides
independent access for blind and print-disabled
people to hundreds of local and national
publications, emergency weather alerts, job
listings, and TV listings, may be terminated in
Maine, effective November 13, 2015. Termination
of this service will drastically limit the
ability of print-disabled Maine residents to
easily and independently obtain in-depth
information about breaking news, weather
emergencies, international affairs, job listings, and community events.

NFB-NEWSLINE® allows those who cannot read
conventional newsprint to listen to newspapers
and magazines over the telephone, on the web, by
on-demand emails, by portable players, or via a
free mobile app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
NFB-NEWSLINE® offers two Maine newspapers, Bangor
Daily News and Portland Press Herald, as well as
Associated Press Maine. In addition to state
newspapers from Maine and across the nation,
subscribers have access to many national
publications, including the New York Times, USA
Today, the Wall Street Journal, the Economist,
and the Christian Science Monitor. NFB-NEWSLINE®
also provides a free local channel through which
print-disabled Maine residents can gain access to
information from state agencies and legislative
bodies that would otherwise be difficult to obtain.

Through the service, print-disabled people can
access over four hundred newspapers and magazines
independently, determining how, when, and where
they wish to read their favorite publications.
The service also provides access to over 100,000 job listings.

NFB-NEWSLINE® also provides weekly weather
forecasts and emergency weather alerts. Blind
people can hear the emergency tones on a
television but cannot read the print scrolling on
the screen. After hearing these tones,
NFB-NEWSLINE®  subscribers can call the service
and hear the emergency weather alert as soon as
they log in. From there they have access to a
full weather report if they choose. These weather
reports are especially crucial during winter months.

For the past several years, Maine’s NFB-NEWSLINE®
service has been sponsored by private funding
sources. The service requires approximately
$30,000 annually to maintain in Maine. If funding
is not found on or before November 13, 2015,
blind and print-disabled Maine residents will no
longer have access to NFB-NEWSLINE®.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said, “The incredible
resource of NFB-NEWSLINE®  should be available to
every blind and print-disabled person. Having
access to current news and information is
essential for people to live the lives they want.”

Leon Proctor, president of the National
Federation of the Blind of Maine, said, “This
service is vital to blind and print-disabled
Maine residents. Nowhere else can they find such
comprehensive, up- to-the-minute access to news
and information. I personally am going to miss
reading the national newspapers and breaking news.”

Scott White, director of NFB-NEWSLINE®, said: “We
are sorry to see the service terminated in this
state. For many blind people, NFB-NEWSLINE®  is
their only accessible and timely source of news
and information. We hope we can obtain the
necessary funding to continue to provide the
newspapers, weather alerts, job listings, retail
ads and TV listings to our subscribers in Maine.”

To learn how you can help keep NFB-NEWSLINE®
available in Maine, please call Scott White,
Director of Sponsored Technology at the National
Federation of the Blind, at (410) 659-9314,
extension 2231 or send an email to <mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit
<http://www.nfbnewsline.org>http://www.nfbnewsline.org.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.