[Nfbnet-members-list] BLIND Inc Buddy Program

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Mar 25 04:59:49 UTC 2015

Warm Greetings from BLIND, Incorporated:

It is once again time to start planning for our 2015 Buddy program!

This three-week summer fun and learning program is for children ages 9 to 13.

The dates are July 18, 2015 through August 7 2015.

Shop
The Buddy Program offers an opportunity for blind children to make
friends and have fun in a positive and secure setting.  Students will
learn and practice alternative techniques of blindness while building
self-confidence.

The training in alternative techniques includes instruction in
reading and writing Braille, basic cane travel, cooking skills, and
introductions to independent living skills.  Students may learn to
pour liquids, carry a food tray, do laundry, follow a recipe, and
much more while building self- confidence and problem solving skills.

Home Management
Students also participate in "talk time," where they discuss
important issues about blindness with blind peers and
instructors.  This time gives the students a chance to discuss their
feelings about blindness, their frustrations with uncomfortable
situations, and helps them to problem-solve and develop a positive
attitude about blindness and their abilities as blind students.

Rock Climbing #2
In addition, students participate in many exciting activities in the
Twin Cities area, such as visits to nature parks, Wild Mountain Water
Park, and rock climbing.  These activities allow students to develop
their socialization skills.  Activities are well supervised and
mentoring for the children is provided by active blind role
models.  Lifelong friendships begin during this brief summer experience.

One of our goals during these recreational\educational activities is
to teach our students the alternative techniques of blindness and
help them gain the self-confidence that would allow them to return
home and actively participate in even more fun activities with their
sighted friends.

Grilling
Activities are excellent opportunities to teach and reinforce a wide
variety of alternative techniques, as they apply to real life.  These
learning experiences are usually most effective when there is plenty
of fun involved!

If you have questions or would like an application please call
612-872-0100 (ext. 251), toll-free

BuddyGirlChick 3647 - Copy
800-597-9558, or email
<mailto:cguggisberg at blindinc.org>cguggisberg at blindinc.org.  You may
complete an application which is included in this announcement.

Sincerely,

Charlene Guggisberg,    Admissions and Special Programs Manager

Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions, Inc.

THE BUDDY PROGRAM APPLICATION
(For children ages 9-13)

(NOTE: This form can be filled out on your computer, but it must be
printed using your browser's print function.)

Top of Form

Child's Name:

Parent's Name(s):

Address:

City:                                                    State:
                    Zip:

Home Phone:                                    Work
Phone:                                      Cell Phone:

Email:

Name of child's vision teacher:

Name of child's vocational rehabilitation counselor (if any):

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD

M/F:                            Age: