[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind to Attempt GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ Title

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Thu Jun 25 01:07:17 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind to Attempt GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ Title

Orlando, Florida (June 24, 2015): As part of the
celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of
the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the
oldest and largest nationwide organization of
blind Americans, members and supporters of the
NFB will attempt to set a new GUINNESS WORLD
RECORDS™ title for largest umbrella mosaic. Over
2,170 individuals (the current record, achieved
by PT Philips in Jakarta, Indonesia, in 2012)
will simultaneously raise umbrellas to create an
image that can be viewed from above. The National
Federation of the Blind record title attempt will
take place at 7 a.m. on the morning of Wednesday,
July 8, in the rear surface parking lot of the
Rosen Centre Hotel located at 9840 International Drive in Orlando.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Every day, the
members of the National Federation of the Blind
raise the expectations of blind people, because
it is low expectations, and not blindness, that
stand between blind people and our dreams. On
Wednesday, July 8, we will raise expectations by
raising a record number of umbrellas to convey
the message that the blind can live the lives we
want. Together, with love, hope, and
determination, we can and will make this GUINNESS
WORLD RECORDS™ attempt, and all of our other dreams, come true.”

Harris Rosen, President & COO, Rosen Hotels &
Resorts, said: “For the past several years we
have been honored to host the annual convention
of the National Federation of the Blind. We are
delighted to do so again this year, and we are
particularly excited to host an official GUINNESS
WORLD RECORDS™ attempt at Rosen Centre. We
encourage the Orlando community to support this
incredible organization and join the National
Federation of the Blind at Rosen Centre in their
attempt to break a world record!”

For more information about the National
Federation of the Blind GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™
attempt, or to sign up to help us set this new
record, visit <http://www.nfb.org/gwr>www.nfb.org/gwr.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.