[Nfbnet-members-list] The 2015 Meeting of the NFB in Computer Science

Curtis Chong via gui-talk gui-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri Jul 3 21:33:28 UTC 2015

Greetings:

The 2015 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science
will take place on Tuesday, July 7, from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Rosen
Center in Orlando, Florida. Our meeting room is Salon 4 on the second level
of the hotel. Anyone who has an interest in promoting success and
independence for information technology professionals or for blind computer
users is invited to attend this meeting. Membership dues for the NFB in
Computer Science are $5. Registration begins at 12:30 p.m.

Anil Lewis, Executive Director of our Jernigan Institute, will talk about
the Jernigan Institute's role to help the blind to reap the benefits of 21st
century technology. Also, we will be talking about using the proper tools
(some technological and others not) to maintain productivity and
competitiveness on the job.

During this year's meeting, Microsoft will have a significant presence,
which is reflective of Microsoft's increased visibility at this year's
National Federation of the Blind convention. If you have had an opportunity
to peruse the NFB convention agenda
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/2015-conv-agenda-final-web.docx>
, you have probably noticed that convention attendees are able to avail
themselves of two afternoons and evenings during the convention during which
they can "meet with Microsoft engineers to learn about new releases, provide
feedback on product experiences, and participate in focus groups." Since
many of us use Microsoft products on a daily basis (for example, Windows and
Microsoft Office), this is an unprecedented and long-awaited opportunity.

Also at our meeting, we will hear from a company called Aira Tech. This
company is proposing to develop an interesting technology-related service
designed to improve nonvisual access and personal independence.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email at
curtischong at earthlink.net for further information about our annual meeting.
I look forward to seeing everyone at the 2015 meeting of the NFB in Computer
Science.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong, President
National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science