[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Postpones Planned Protest Tomorrow: New York City Schools Panel Cancels Vote on Amazon Deal

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Tue Aug 25 21:58:00 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Postpones Planned Protest Tomorrow

New York City Schools Panel Cancels Vote on Amazon Deal

Baltimore, Maryland (August 25, 2015): The
<https://nfb.org/>National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), the nation’s leading advocate for
equal education for blind students, commented
today on a proposed $30 million contract under
which Amazon, Inc. would construct an electronic
storefront for New York City schools and become
the primary provider of educational materials for
students. The NFB planned to protest the deal
before a meeting of the school system’s Panel for
Educational Policy tomorrow, but will not go
forward with the protest because the panel has
canceled the vote on the proposal in order to investigate NFB’s concerns.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the
<https://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>National
Federation of the Blind, said: “The National
Federation of the Blind is firmly committed to
the principle that blind students must have equal
access to the materials used by their sighted
peers if they are to receive an equal education
and live the lives they want. That is why we have
expressed our strong opposition to the deal with
Amazon as currently proposed. While we stand
ready to take any and all steps necessary to
protect the rights of New York City’s blind
students, we are now hopeful, in light of the
cancellation of tomorrow’s vote on this deal,
that we can resolve the issue through an amicable
and productive dialogue with school officials. We
continue to urge everyone concerned about the
rights of students who are blind or who have
print disabilities to contact Chancellor Carmen
Fariña and let her know that equal access and
equal education are one and the same.”

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.