[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind to Distribute Freedom Scientific’s JAWS® Training Bundle

Wichmann, Jessica jwichmann at nfb.org
Wed Apr 22 21:40:44 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind to Distribute
Freedom Scientific’s JAWS® Training Bundle

NFB Independence Market to Sell Training Bundle Exclusively on NLS Cartridge

Baltimore, Maryland (April 22, 2015):
<http://www.nfb.org/>The National Federation of
the Blind, the nation’s leading advocate for
access by the blind to information and
technology, is pleased to be distributing the Job
Access with Speech (JAWS) Training Bundle
developed by
<http://freedomscientific.com/>Freedom
Scientific, the manufacturer of the powerful JAWS
screen reader and other popular access
technologies. The National Federation of the
Blind Independence Market is exclusively selling
the JAWS Training Bundle on cartridges designed
for use with the free DAISY playback equipment
available from the National Library Service for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped of the
Library of Congress (NLS). This training solution
contains over fifty hours of training in the
DAISY audio format on how to use JAWS with your
computer. All training is performed by
JAWS-certified instructors from Freedom
Scientific. Topics include JAWS basics, using
JAWS with Windows 7 and 8 and with Microsoft
Office 2010 and 2013, using JAWS on the internet,
reading PDF files with JAWS, and more.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “The National
Federation of the Blind is committed to providing
useful products and resources to blind Americans,
and to ensuring that they have access to training
on the use of cutting-edge technologies. Working
with Freedom Scientific to make the JAWS Training
Bundle available to more blind people in a format
that they can easily use is certainly consistent
with our mission and represents another great
milestone in the productive relationship we are
building with Freedom Scientific, one of the
leading innovators in the access technology field.”

John Blake, CEO of Freedom Scientific, said: "Our
JAWS Training Bundle is designed to complement
the training provided by teachers of the visually
impaired and to promote self-study. Thanks to the
NFB’s support and commitment, this partnership
will provide more students and professionals the
opportunity to develop their computer skills to
achieve their professional and personal goals.”

Ellen Ringlein, manager of the NFB Independence
Market, said: “We are proud to offer the JAWS
Training Bundle in this portable format, which
affords users many advantages. Since the training
content is on an NLS cartridge, legally blind
individuals can obtain playback equipment from
their library for the blind at no charge.
Students can now study the JAWS training
materials from the comfort of their own homes and
learn at their own pace. It is easy to start and
stop training, jump to or repeat particular
lessons, and access specific parts of the
training for reference whenever needed.
Purchasing the training bundle is less expensive
per hour than paying for one-on-one training.
Offering the JAWS Training Bundle in this format
represents exactly the kind of usefulness and
convenience that we strive for in all of our NFB
Independence Market product offerings.”

For more information about the JAWS Training
Bundle on the NLS cartridge or other products and
literature available from the NFB Independence
Market, please email
<mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org>independencemarket at nfb.org
or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2216. You may
also browse
<https://nfb.org/independence-market>our catalog and ecommerce site online.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

About Freedom Scientific

Freedom Scientific is the leading worldwide
provider of assistive technology products for
those with vision impairments. The Company sells
its products worldwide and has offices in Florida
and Switzerland. The Company's products have been
translated into 24 languages and are available in 55 countries.