[Nfbnet-members-list] Read the May Braille Monitor

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed May 7 19:01:45 UTC 2014

Are you a driver or a passenger in your life? Why would anyone ask
such a question? Find out how several blind persons answered this
intriguing question by reading the May edition of the Braille Monitor.

Learn some interesting facts about the next President of the National
Federation of the Blind, Mark Riccobono, in the article entitled
Taking Control and Becoming a Driver of My Life. His journey is very
interesting. Mark's invitation to "be a driver" in the Federation is
especially poignant.

The May Monitor also contains three articles in which other blind
persons describe how they are the drivers of their lives. In
Adventuring With My Cane: a Response to Dr. Vermeij, Donna Posont
describes her views on using her cane to explore nature.

In the article Do Blind People Dream in Color?, readers will
encounter food for thought in Erin Jepsen's opinion of blindness.
People who think for themselves certainly drive their own lives.

Terry Rupp, formerly a blind child, a blind student, and a blind
parent, explains how these experiences are influencing her in her new
role as the parent of a blind child. Don't miss Terry's article
Marley and Me Musical Chairs.

As usual, the Monitor also contains interesting news. Read about an
important victory in Blind Students Will Not Be Left Behind in Common
Core Testing, Settlement Says, taken from the Huffington Post. Keep
up with the latest in technology by reading Odin Mobile: A Wireless
Provider for People Who Are Blind by Robert Felker. The May Monitor
would not be complete without thoughts on our upcoming National
Convention. See Dan Hicks' article Make the Scene in 2014 for more information.

The May, 2014 Braille Monitor can be found at:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm14/bm1405/bm1405tc.htm

Sharon Maneki