[Nfbnet-members-list] The NFB Brand

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon Mar 31 13:54:22 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Some of you may know that the National Federation of the Blind,
acting through President Maurer and the board of directors, has
adopted a new strategy to refresh our brand so that we can more
easily communicate our purpose and message to potential members,
potential donors, and the general public. In the coming weeks, we
will be sending you more information about our new brand and its
components, but I wanted to give you a head start on the process of
activating the brand. The easiest part of our new brand to implement,
and one of its most useful and powerful components, is known as the
one-minute message.

Often our members and supporters wonder, "How can I possibly explain
what the National Federation of the Blind is and does in a concise
way?" The one-minute message is designed to solve this problem. It
can actually be repeated in less than a minute, and can also be
thought of as the "elevator speech" (a short statement that could be
used to describe the NFB to a stranger during a short elevator ride).
In addition to using the one-minute message in speeches,
presentations to civic groups, media interviews, and the like, you
can use the written form of the message on your affiliate Web site or
your chapter's Facebook page, as a quote for your e-mail signature,
and more. The one-minute message is already featured on the home page
of our national Web site, <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org. You can
also see an example of how it can be used as an e-mail signature in
my own signature below. In short, the one-minute message should be
memorized and used as often as possible, wherever and whenever you
can think of to use it.

The one-minute message is:

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Happy branding!

Sincerely,

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
Mobile: (410) 262-1281
E-mail: <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind
Imagination Fund campaign, please visit
<http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture>www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture.