[Nfbnet-members-list] New talking thermometer and safety aid

Phil philb at brooks-technology.com
Sat Jun 7 16:32:28 UTC 2014

We have been asked to circulate the following information -- on a new product.

Dave

image: talking infrared thermometer
In brief, the Talking Infrared Thermometer (model IRT-1) can measure
the temperature of a wide variety of objects without contact, and has
a special scan function to help a blind person quickly locate hot
items, such as a burner on a flat cook top stove, or to ensure a pot
or pan is centered over said burner.  My motive for developing the
IRT-1 came from a blind friend who was badly burned while teaching a
newly blind student to cook.  Had there been the means to easily
determine the cooking oil temperature the accident could most
probably been prevented.  The IRT-1 of course can be used to measure
the temperature of many other things as well; the refrigerator or
freezer, coffee, bath water, food temperature, etc etc.  The IRT-1
with only 3 buttons is super easy to learn and use and has a built in
talking tutor!  And finally, the IRT-1 can be set to speak in
English, Spanish or French and to say the temperature in Centigrade
or Fahrenheit too.  For much more detailed information, a user
manual, speech samples and images please visit my web
site:  <http://www.brooks-technology.com>brooks-technology.com

About myself and my company:  I'm located in Morgan Hill, California,
about 30 minutes south of the so called Silicon Valley area.  I've
been an electronics engineer and programmer for many years, the last
20 as a design consultant to other organizations.  I love to get
involved developing new products!!  Over the last 6 years I've worked
with James Kubel of Access Solutions in Sacramento, California on
several projects, including the <http://www.pump-mate.com>PumpMate, a
talking remote control that provides access for insulin pump
users.  Recently I've decided to develop accessibility products to
market as my own, the first being the IRT-1 Talking Infrared Thermometer.

The thermometer is now available, I've completed an initial
production run.  Price is set at $119.95 and currently can be
purchased directly from my site at
http://www.brooks-technology.com.  I'm actively seeking re-sellers,
for which discounts would apply.  Both the Sacramento Society for the
blind and the Lighthouse have indicated they will carry it.

If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to call me at
408-781-4577, or by return email if you wish.  In addition I'd be
happy to send you a device for evaluation.

Thank you!

Phil Brooks
Brooks Technology