[Nfbnet-members-list] Recruiting for the NFB Communications Committee

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Jan 20 23:13:04 UTC 2014

Recruiting for the NFB Communications Committee

The NFB Communications committee is one of the two original
committees formed at the conception of the National Federation of the
Blind (membership was the other). Our mission is to consider
questions dealing with the Braille Monitor, state newsletters, and
the total range of communications and information throughout our movement.

We need a few new good members who have an interest in
communications, a passion for the mission of the NFB, and can commit
to giving of their talent and time to our part of changing what it
means to be blind.

What we have accomplished over the past three years:

#1 Sought out all NFB affiliate and divisional publications.
Communicate with editors, find out their needs, encourage them to
join the NFB-Editors listserv, share everyone's publications, etc.

#2 Surveyed all NFB affiliate and divisional websites. Found eleven
affiliates were not on the WWW, communicated with them about their
needs. Put together a proposal to offer a free domain, and initial
webmaster service, and training for a webmaster of their choice. All
fifty-two affiliates are now up. (Four affiliates got themselves up,
we assisted seven. We are still the webmaster of five of them)

#3 Made a survey of all affiliates total communications efforts.
Cataloged, categorized and grouped the types of method and tools
being used, and shared them with all affiliates, divisions, and chapters.

#4 Created a Facebook Trainer Team to reach out and encourage and
assist affiliates, divisions, and chapters to utilize Facebook to
promote themselves and NFB.
#5 Assisted the Affiliate Action Team to get all affiliate and
division websites to post the notice for our new national fund
raiser, the vehicle donation program. (Started with twenty-one
affiliates had it up, now we have forty-seven, with a commitment to
do so from the remainder)

#6 At convention we host a workshop. We base the theme on what
appears to be the current needs of those NFB communication players
who are looking for solutions and/or a forum to share ideas.

If you are interested, please contact me personally. My preferred
avenue for our first communication would be by phone at 402-660-1743.
Though, email is acceptable, at newmanrl at cox.net

Note: Don't join, if you cannot commit some creative time and effort
to our job. Not to scare anyone away, I'm just serious about this
committee being worthy of its mission.

Robert Leslie Newman
Personal Website-
<http://www.thoughtprovoker.info/>http://www.thoughtprovoker.info
NFB Writers' Division, President
Division Website-
http://writers.nfb.org
Chair, NFB Communications Committee
Nebraska Senior Division, vice President
Omaha Chapter First vice President