[Nfbnet-members-list] The NFB’s Bid for Equality online auction is just 9 days away

Riccobono, Mark MRiccobono at nfb.org
Wed Nov 20 06:54:47 UTC 2013

The NFB’s Bid for Equality online auction is just
9 days away, launching on November 29 (Black
Friday), and running through December 3 (Giving
Tuesday)! Your time and effort spent coordinating
packages is much appreciated! Now, we need your
help promoting our Bid for Equality and your
fantastic packages to ensure that the auction
reaches the widest audience possible. Below are
some ways you can help us spread the word in your
communities about the NFB and its online auction!

Thunderclap

An easy and effective way to spread the word
about our Bid for Equality auction prior to the
auction's launch is by joining and sharing with
others our Thunderclap. Thunderclap is a social
media tool that amplifies an organization's
message by sending out a pre-planned tweet or
Facebook post at the same time from each Facebook
and Twitter user who signs up. Our goal is to
have 500 people support our Thunderclap message,
which will go out on the first day of the Bid for
Equality auction, November 29, only if we reach
our goal. If we do not meet our goal by the start
of our auction, the message will not be shared at
all. Please support our Thunderclap and ask your
network for their support as well. You can
support and share our Thunderclap at
<https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/6216-bid-for-equality-cyber-auction>https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/6216-bid-for-equality-cyber-auction.

Share Bid for Equality Flyers

We have created a Bid for Equality flyer
(attached and also available for download on our
Web site:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/bid_for_equality_flyer.pdf>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/bid_for_equality_flyer.pdf)
that you can share with friends, family, and even
local businesses. The target audience for the Bid
for Equality is mature and affluent shoppers, so
you may want to specifically target businesses
such as upscale grocery stores (Whole Foods,
Harris Teeter), restaurants, and salons. You may
also consider checking with your church or your
local coffee shop about posting a flyer on their
community bulletin board. Other businesses to
consider sharing the flyer with include country
clubs, local souvenir stores (such as Greetings
and Readings), libraries, craft shows, and sporting shops.

Social Media

We will be promoting the Bid for Equality on
Twitter
(<http://www.twitter.com/nfb_voice>@NFB_voice)
and Facebook
(<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind)
and we encourage you to do the same. There will
be a lot of content coming from the national
social media feeds for you to retweet or share,
but we also encourage you to create and
personalize your own tweets and Facebook posts
promoting the auction. It would be a great idea
to share specifically the item your affiliate
donated to the auction, as you will be able to
easily personalize it. Below are sample tweets
and Facebook posts for reference.

Sample tweets:
#FollowFriday Our Bid for Equality auction begins
in 1 week! View our must-have donations and
encourage your family and friends to shop our
#auction <http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI>http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI

This holiday season the NFB is #thankful for our
great donation items! Make your Bid for Equality
at <http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI>http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI

Bid on a #holiday #gift from our #auction and
support the programs of the NFB of <insert
affiliate or chapter name> at the same time!
<http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI>http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI

Happy #GivingTuesday! Celebrate with us and
support the work of the NFB by shopping our
online #auction! <http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI>http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI

Sample Facebook post:
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>The
National Federation of the Blind Bid for Equality
online auction is now open for bidding! Help the
NFB fund its work to provide blind Americans with
the tools they need to become independent and
successful by sharing the auction with your
friends and family!There are a wide range of
unique and exciting auction items available, from
exotic getaways to Puerto Rico and Costa Rica, to
a fun family-friendly trip to an apple farm in
Connecticut. Visit
<http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI>http://bit.ly/1a9vJnI to
bid now, and remember: the future is in your bid!

Place a Radio Ad or PSA

Radio is a great way to reach the target audience
for the Bid for Equality. You may want to
investigate opportunities for local radio spots
or PSAs – many radio stations have special deals
or even free public service announcement (PSA)
space for nonprofit organizations. We recommend
reaching out to radio stations that attract an
older, affluent audience, such as your local NPR
affiliate or a classical music station.

Thank you in advance for your help in making the
Bid for Equality a successful auction! If you
have any questions, please contact Ilana Posner
at (410) 659-9314, extension 2283, or at
<mailto:iposner at nfb.org>iposner at nfb.org.

Mark A. Riccobono, M.S.ed
Executive Director, Jernigan Institute
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: (410) 659-9314 ext. 2357
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Email: <mailto:mriccobono at nfb.org>mriccobono at nfb.org
Twitter: @Riccobono
Web: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org

Take the stress out of this year’s holiday
shopping with NFB’s Bid for Equality national
online auction: Black Friday, Nov. 29, to Giving
Tuesday, Dec. 3.
<http://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/AuctionHome.action?vhost=bid-for-equality>View
our must-have donations and register to make your
Bid for Equality. The future is in your bid!