[Nfbnet-members-list] Please Sign and Circulate the Petition to Support Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Fri Mar 22 01:24:44 UTC 2013

Petition to Support Fair Wages
for Workers with Disabilities

<http://www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition>www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition

We, the undersigned, are Americans with disabilities who are
adversely affected by subminimum wage payments to workers with
disabilities; representatives of organizations made up of, and
working on behalf of, Americans with disabilities; friends and family
members of individuals who have disabilities; and other concerned
citizens who believe in fairness and equality.  We all speak in
support of the repeal of Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act (FLSA), which authorizes Special Wage Certificates that permit
employers to pay workers with disabilities subminimum wages, some as
low as 3 cents per hour.

We reject the low expectations for, the false view of the true
capacity of, and the misguided compassion used to justify this
discrimination against workers with disabilities.  This provision has
existed for over seventy years, and rather than creating real
employment opportunities for workers with disabilities, it has
relegated hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities to
segregated, subminimum wage work environments, perpetuated the
misconception that workers with disabilities do not have the capacity
for productive employment, and masked the need for further
development and implementation of innovative employment strategies
for the competitive integrated employment of people with disabilities.

We all believe that the future prospects for workers with
disabilities are limited only by the spirit, ambition, and
imagination of Americans with disabilities, and by the willingness of
society to expand and implement enlightened policies that will help
them succeed.  We adamantly assert that as long as workers with
disabilities are denied the same workforce protections as every other
American citizen, and the solution to the employment dilemma of
workers with disabilities is thought to be their continued
segregation in subminimum-wage work environments, our society will
never truly implement the innovative employment strategies that
empower workers with disabilities to fully participate in the workforce.

For these reasons, we, the undersigned, urge the repeal of Section
14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act in order to abolish the unfair,
discriminatory, immoral practice of paying workers with disabilities
subminimum wages; to reverse over seventy years of mistaken
institutionalized thinking about the employment capacity of people
with disabilities; and to incentivize the development,
implementation, and use of innovative strategies for their
competitive, integrated employment.

To sign the petition, visit
<http://www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition>www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
Director of Advocacy and Policy

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"
http://www.nfb.org/fairwages
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland   21230