[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Read Across America: Promote Braille Literacy, Have Fun, and READ!

Shaheen, Natalie NShaheen at nfb.org
Wed Feb 6 00:55:03 UTC 2013

Federationists:

We have an opportunity to proclaim our love for
Braille to the world on a day when the world, or
at least the United States, is abuzz about books!
The National Education Association has been
celebrating Read Across America Day on Dr. Seuss’
birthday for many years. March 2--Dr. Seus’s
birthday­falls on a Saturday this year, so the
festivities will take place on Friday, March 1 in
schools and libraries around the country. As in
years past, the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB) will be joining in this celebration of
literacy for all children­focusing particularly
on the importance of Braille literacy. To ensure
our message about the awesomeness of Braille is
heard around the world, we need everyone’s help!

You can join in the Read Across America fun and
help spread the good news about Braille starting today by doing the following:
1.
<https://nfb.org/readacrossamericavideouploadform>Send
in pictures of you or your child reading a
Braille book near landmarks or other identifiable
places. We want to show the world that blind
people read Braille across America by showcasing
pictures of Braille readers in the desert, on a
beach, at Disney World, at the Grand Canyon, and
the like. Chosen pictures will be posted on
<http://www.nfb.org/>nfb.org, on the
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind?ref=ts&fref=ts>NFB’s
Facebook page, and tweeted by <https://twitter.com/nfb_voice>@NFB_Voice.
2.
<https://nfb.org/readacrossamericavideouploadform>Send
us a video of your child reading Braille or
showcasing how you will celebrate Dr. Seus’s’s
birthday. A selection of the submitted videos
will be posted on Facebook, the
<http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind>NFB’s
YouTube channel, and tweeted by
<https://twitter.com/nfb_voice>@NFB_Voice. Josey
and Angel (one Braille reader and one print
reader) submitted
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nNBMnAqSeo>a
great video for Read Across America Day last
year! Have fun, get creative, and show the world why you love Braille!
On March 1, Red Across America Day, help spread
the message that Braille rocks by:
1.      READING Dr. Seus’s’s! This is what this
day is all about. You can find Dr. Seus’s’s books
in Braille online to download at
<http://www.bookshare.org>Bookshare or from
<http://www.loc.gov/cgi-bin/zgate.nls?ACTION=INIT&FORM_HOST_PORT=/prod/www/data/nls/catalog/index.html,z3950.loc.gov,7490&CI=151238>NLS,
and you can find hardcopy Braille books at
<http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/publications/all_books.html>National Braille Press.
2.      Tell us about what you are reading!
Whether you are reading Dr. Seus’s’s or not, we
still want to hear about it. Post about it on
Facebook and Twitter using the hashtags #Braille
and #NEAReads (the official Read Across America
hashtag). You can talk about what you are
reading, suggest books, ask for suggestions, or
post about why you love Braille and why it is
important, or about anything else. We want to hear from you!

If the whole country is talking about literacy on
March 1, Braille must be a part of the conversation!

"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to
pick up a book and read with a child."
--Dr. Seus’s’s

If you have questions about the NFB’s
participation in Read Across America, please be in touch.

Natalie Shaheen
Natalie L. Shaheen, MEd
Director of Education
Jernigan Institute
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 E. Wells Street
at Jernigan Place.
Baltimore, MD 21230
Email: <mailto:nshaheen at nfb.org>nshaheen at nfb.org
Phone: (410) 659-9314 x2293
Twitter: @nlshaheen
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Visit: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org
"If they do not learn the way you teach, teach the way they learn" --Anonymous