[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Comments on New Kindles

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Sep 7 01:12:28 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Comments on New Kindles

Baltimore, Maryland (September 6, 2012): <http://www.nfb.org>The
National Federation of the Blind, the nation's
<https://www.nfb.org/access-technology>leading advocate for
accessible technology and content, commented today on Amazon's press
conference announcing new Kindle e-readers and tablets.

<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>National
Federation of the Blind, said: "The U.S. Department of State has just
withdrawn a single-source contract proposal involving the Kindle
family of devices, possibly due
<http://www.nfb.org/national-federation-blind-files-complaint-against-state-department>to
our concerns about the lack of accessibility in virtually all
iterations of the Kindle.  Despite the State Department action, our
repeated encouragement of Amazon to incorporate accessibility, and
the fact that companies like Apple and Google are actively engaged in
the incorporation of accessibility features into their devices, there
is no evidence that these new Kindles are accessible.  It seems
abundantly clear where Amazon stands.  The National Federation of the
Blind will continue to fight for access to all manner of devices and
content and to oppose the deployment of inaccessible devices and
content by entities that are covered by our nation's disability laws."
###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.