[Nfbnet-members-list] Support UN Convention on Rights of Disabled Persons

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Oct 24 10:03:02 UTC 2012

The following is from Jesse Hartle

Fellow Federationists:

                 We have been working to build support for the United
Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
(CRPD).  Ratification of the CRPD would solidify the United States as
a global leader on disability rights, and protect Americans with
disabilities who travel, work, study, or serve abroad.    The
opposition has stated that the disability community is uninformed and
does not really support the disability rights treaty.   The National
Federation of the Blind must take action to urge our Senators to
support this important initiative.  We believe that the Senate will
take a vote on this treaty after the elections, and we are now
partnering with over 250 disability groups to maximize the push for
ratification of the CRPD treaty.

The NFB has been assigned next Wednesday October 24, 2012, as the
first of our three days of action.  We would like to use this day to
target members of the Senate through social media tools.  Below you
will find a list of Twitter handles for members of the United States
Senate, and a draft message to be used.  You should also try to get
those who follow you on Twitter to retweet your messages to ensure a
greater number of people learn about the treaty.  If you do not have
a Twitter account, or your Senator does not have a Twitter account,
we would like you to try and alert your Senator through their
Facebook page; if you use Facebook be sure to tag the National
Federation of the Blind in your post.  Please contact me with any
questions.  I have included my contact information below the list of
Twitter handles.  Thank you all very much for your hard work in
advance on this important issue.

Draft Message (144 characters):

I am a blind person who supports the #CRPD. I urge @(insert Senators
Handle) to support passage of this important policy for disabled Americans.

Alabama

Richard Shelby

@SenShelbyPress

Jeff Sessions