[Nfbnet-members-list] Louisiana Tech Requiting Orientation and Mobility Students

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Nov 1 23:31:28 UTC 2012

Dear Prospective Student:

This letter is to introduce an exciting
opportunity for qualified blind and sighted
individuals through the Professional Development
and Research Institute on Blindness at Louisiana
Tech University. The Institute on Blindness was
established in 1999 by the Louisiana Center for
the Blind, one of our nation’s premier facilities
assisting consumers in adjusting to sight
loss.  Later in 2001, The Institute became a part
of Louisiana Tech University.  Our purpose is to
provide outstanding professional preparation for
individuals entering the field of working with
blind children or adults.  We are also committed
to providing leadership in creating programs and
conducting research that empower blind
individuals not only to live independently, but
also to participate fully in society.

Our progressive graduate programs are unique
because we combine the best of university
education and agency training to produce the most
qualified teachers of blind children and
Orientation & Mobility instructors.  The Master’s
degree programs at the Institute on Blindness are
non-discriminatory and designed with standards
and competencies which exceed those of
traditional university training programs.  Our
graduates have been sought after by eager
employers from all across the United States in both public and private sectors.

At Louisiana Tech’s Institute on Blindness, we
take pride in maintaining high academic standards
coupled with a variety of meaningful off-site
instruction, and immersion training at the
Louisiana Center for the Blind.  As a participant
in one of our programs, you will receive more
than just a degree--you will gain very practical
and personal knowledge about blindness.

Applications are currently being accepted for all
our graduate programs­ a Master of Arts in
Teaching Blind Students; a Master of Education in
Teaching Blind Students; and a Master of Arts
degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
with a Concentration in Orientation and Mobility
(O&M).  For further information about the
Institute, or any of our academic programs,
please refer to our website at
<http://www.pdrib.com/>www.pdrib.com , call 318-257-4554, or email us at:

Teachers of Blind Students (TBS)
Ruby Ryles, Ph.D.
<mailto:rryles at latech.edu>rryles at latech.edu

Orientation and Mobility (O&M) program
Edward Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC
<mailto:ebell at latech.edu>ebell at latech.edu

Our graduates make a positive difference in the
field of blindness as well as in the lives of
blind people.  We invite you to join the
team.  Currently we have limited financial
assistance for a limited number of individuals
seeking a graduate degree through either of our
programs.  For more information call us at (318) 257-4554.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you
to Louisiana Tech University and the Institute on Blindness.

Sincerely,

Edward Bell, Director