[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: 2012 Employment Seminar at NFB Convention

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Wed May 9 23:39:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

I thought I would send out this preliminary note about this year's
Employment Seminar at the NFB Convention in Dallas.  As usual, it
will be on Saturday June 30, but this year it will run from 8:30 a.m.
to 12:30 p.m.  We have two agenda items already scheduled.

Brenda Mosby, of the Colorado Center for the Blind will present a
mini-seminar on how to get a job in the federal government: "Is a
federal job in your future? Find out!".  She's going to bring people
from the federal government to explain how the Schedule A process
works.  And yes, they are still hiring.

Robert Leslie Newman is going to talk about "Where The Blind Work',
the database of employed blind mentors that the Writers Division
developed.  It's a good career exploration and blind jobseeker
resource, and we need to make sure more people use it.

There will also be the usual announcements and job exchange, in which
people who know of job vacancies and people who are looking for jobs
can network with each other.

Well, that's enough for now.  We're going to have a committee
teleconference, which will no doubt generate additional agenda
items.  For those of you who want to know, we will once again be
recording the seminar, which will be available for free on the NFB
website.  But if you can come, please do, because it's hard to ask
questions of a recording.

Dick Davis
Chair
NFB Employment Committee