[Nfbnet-members-list] 2011 Imagination Fund Blind Driver Experience

Laney, Ann-Marie ALaney at nfb.org
Fri Mar 18 01:54:58 UTC 2011

2011 Imagination Fund
Blind Driver Experience

The Blind Driver Challenge™ of the National
Federation of the Blind reached an important
milestone on January 29, 2011, when the first
public demonstration of a blind person
independently operating an automobile using
nonvisual interfaces was successfully held at the
Daytona International Speedway. This achievement
comes from the commitment and dedication of
Federationists across the country. Whether it is
our Blind Driver Challenge™, our education
programs, or any of the other dozens of programs
and services provided by the Federation at the
local or national level, it always begins with
gathering the resources required to build our dreams for the future.

The NFB Imagination Fund is a primary source for
the financial resources that we need to build new
programs. Those who help to collect those
resources have the satisfaction of contributing
to our future success. At our National Convention
in Orlando, Florida, those who help raise
considerable resources for the NFB Imagination
Fund will also get to have their own Blind Driver Experience.

What is the Blind Driver Experience?
    * An incredible opportunity for you and up to
three of your friends to ride in the Blind Driver
Challenge™ car (the same car that was driven on
the famed Daytona International Speedway) while
it is driven by a skilled blind driver
    * An exclusive occasion to witness, up close,
the nonvisual access technology that makes it
possible for a blind person to drive while
experiencing a ride in the second generation Blind Driver vehicle
    * A unique chance to dialogue with a trained
blind driver about the technology, the experience
of testing the technology, and future interfaces for blind driving

Thirty of this year’s Imaginators will have the
honor of participating in the Blind Driver
Experience during the convention. The top ten
Imaginators in overall dollars raised will
automatically be selected to participate. The
remaining twenty spots will be drawn at random
from the pool of individuals who raised at least
$1,000 and who plan to be in attendance at the convention.

In order to be eligible to participate in the
Blind Driver Experience you must:
    * Register for the Race for Independence
(www.raceforindependence.org, or call 410-659-9314 ext. 2371)
    * Raise at least $1,000 or more no later than June 15, 2011
    * Register for the 2011 National Convention
    * If selected, be available at the appointed
time during the convention (participating
individuals will be assigned a ride time on the afternoon of Tuesday, July 5)

The Blind Driver Experience is well earned
recognition and a well deserved celebration of
your involvement in helping build opportunities
for all blind people through your active
participation in the NFB Imagination Fund.