[Nfbnet-members-list] Cross-Disability Groups to Join National Federation of the Blind Protests

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Jul 26 06:05:54 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

Cross-Disability Groups to Join
National Federation of the Blind Protests

Groups Urge End to Subminimum Wages for Disabled Workers

Baltimore, Maryland (July 25, 2011): The Center for
Self-Determination, Disability Rights Advocates, National Down
Syndrome Congress, National Down Syndrome Society, National Fragile X
Foundation, and TASH will join the National Federation of the Blind
in conducting informational protests on Tuesday, July 26, the
twenty-first anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  The
informational protests will focus on educating members of the public
about pending legislation that reauthorizes the payment of subminimum
wages to workers with disabilities.  The groups will conduct the
protests at the district offices of members of the Senate Committee
on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, which is considering the legislation.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "We are extremely pleased that these organizations are joining
us to advocate for equal pay for equal work and an end to the
outrageous practice of paying subminimum wages to workers with
disabilities.  We hope that other members of the disability rights
community will join us in speaking out against this unfair,
discriminatory, and immoral practice and opposing any legislation
that authorizes and perpetuates it."

Serena Lowe, executive director of Collaboration to Promote
Self-Determination, said: "We are pleased and proud to join the
National Federation of the Blind in speaking out against the
continuation of federal policies that allow for the exploitation of
workers with disabilities through the payment of subminimum
wages.  Citizens with disabilities deserve to be paid the same as
their non-disabled peers for their contributions to the
workforce.  We hope Congress will provide the courageous leadership
necessary to fight for true equality for all Americans with disabilities."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.