[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB Imagineering Our Future: The sounds of change

Mark Riccobono JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
Fri Oct 8 04:48:48 UTC 2010

Graphic Logo: NFB Jernigan Institute
  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=lGPryKAkE72sEaBUQIwxkA..>View
this newsletter as HTML in your browser.
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=iAkFHFRGMDnYExO6f_luqg..>View
last month’s newsletter.

Imagineering Our Future

      Issue 27
October 2010

In this issue:

    * Message from the Executive Director
    * What’s New
    * Education
    * Braille Initiative
    * Advocacy
    * Straight Talk About Vision Loss
    * Product and Access Technology Talk
    * From the tenBroek Library
    * Independence Market
    * Parent Outreach
    * Spotlight on the Imagination Fund
    * NFB Calendar
    * Citation

    []

    Message from the Executive Director

    Dear Friends,

    Recently I was thinking about the sounds of
change.  As I walked my son to preschool the
other day, we discussed the changing of the
seasons from summer to fall.  My son, Austin, was
looking forward to the leaves falling so we could
pile them up and jump into them.  I talked with
him about the colors of the leaves changing but
also about the sounds that are different, such as
leaves blowing down the street and birds flying south.

    Last month we hosted a group of energetic
Federationists who are working on youth outreach
programs in our affiliates. During that
gathering, I also found myself thinking about the
sounds of change. The lively discussions,
passionate dreams, and exciting new ideas were
heard (and felt) throughout the NFB Jernigan
Institute. Thousands of people come to the NFB
Jernigan Institute for seminars and meetings each
year. The sounds of change are present in all of
these gatherings. Those sounds are also present
in the state and local gatherings of
Federationists­especially during this busy fall
season, which features many affiliate conventions
and local outreach events for Meet the Blind
Month. If you want to hear hope, listen to the
melody of collaboration, or accompany a song of
discovery, then you need to be part of the National Federation of the Blind.

    As you will find in this month’s issue, as
the seasons change, the work of the Federation
carries forward in new and dynamic ways. The
sounds of change are a part of what we offer as
well as a consistent rhythm of high expectations
and positive attitudes. What makes the sound so
beautiful is that it incorporates thousands of
voices in a symphony that Dr. Jernigan described
as “individual efforts collectively focused.” We
hope to see you at one of our many Meet the Blind
Month events, where we will be demonstrating the
sounds of change through the hopes and dreams of the blind of America.

    Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono

    Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director, NFB Jernigan Institute

    []

Featured NFB News

Who’s Whozit?
Image: Whozit, the NFB's symbol

Meet the Blind Month Is Here!

October is Meet the Blind Month, our nationwide
campaign to increase awareness of and support for
the National Federation of the Blind (NFB). This
person-to-person awareness campaign is designed
to increase the understanding that the National
Federation of the Blind is the country’s
preeminent membership organization of blind
people and that we, the NFB, are the recognized
resource when it comes to vision loss, blindness, and rehabilitation.

This year we are launching a pilot program, Who’s
Whozit, to bring our message to school-aged
children. This initiative will serve to generate
excitement around one of our organization’s most
important efforts­public education. The primary
focus in 2010 is to shatter common misconceptions
about blindness, show how far the blind have come
due to the efforts of the NFB, and focus
attention on the work that needs to be done in
order for the blind to obtain full integration
into society on the basis of equality.

Check out the Meet the Blind Month activities in
your area or post your upcoming events on the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=2f2u7iWKf7KfijuU36gzBQ..>Meet
the Blind Month Web page.

[]

Education

NFB Youth Slam

It’s back:  The third
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ltZ2lX_m5ZIBDI-56VncZg..>NFB
Youth Slam, a STEM academy for blind high school
students ages 14-18, will be held in the summer
of 2011. This exciting program provides blind
youth with a unique opportunity to interact with
blind peers and successful blind adult role
models, while learning exciting new things and
participating in challenging confidence-building experiences.

Photo: Mentor Heather Oklak and 2007 Youth Slam participant

Volunteers needed:  We are looking for
enthusiastic, dynamic, positive adults (18 years
of age and older) who are interested in serving
as volunteers to help facilitate the NFB Youth
Slam. We need individuals who are able to be
mentors, marshals, assist with instruction­you
name it. We couldn't do a program like this
without the help of great volunteers.

All those who are interested in attending or
volunteering for this one-of-a-kind event should
visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=_LdjCTNX63TFF3Wdq4eh7Q..>www.blindscience.org
to submit an online application when registration opens this fall.

Thank you:  The National Federation of the Blind
offers our deepest appreciation to all those who
supported our efforts over the last two months to
secure a grant in the Pepsi Refresh project. Out
of over 450 organizations competing for the
$250,000 prize, the NFB reached as high as 15th
place. However, we were unable to break into the
top two­a necessary position to receive funding
for the 2011 NFB Youth Slam program.  While our
Pepsi project has done well enough to roll over
into the October competition, we will be focusing
our energies on other efforts, including our
grassroots Meet the Blind Month programs and our
new Text2Give campaign, which will support our
Imagination Fund and the programs it benefits,
such as the NFB Youth Slam.  More information
about this effort can be found in the Spotlight
on the Imagination Fund section of this
newsletter.  Again, we wholeheartedly thank you
for your enthusiastic support and commitment as
we continue to build a future full of opportunities.

NLCSD Doctoral Fellowship

Graphic: NLCSD logo

Applications for the second and final cohort of
the National Leadership Consortium in Sensory
Disabilities (NLCSD) are now being
accepted.  This is a four-year doctoral
fellowship for students in participating
consortium universities.  Sponsored by the U.S.
Department of Education, Office of Special
Education Programs, the consortium consists of
twenty-five universities with doctoral programs
that have an emphasis in one or more of the three
sensory impairment areas: blind/visually
impaired, deaf/hard of hearing, and
deafblindness.  Applications will be accepted
until December 31, 2010.  The cohort will begin
their studies in the Fall of 2011.  More
information about the application process can be
obtained on the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ECxheCt8NdLdjS54732E0w..>NLCSD
Web site.

The NFB is deeply concerned that we have strong
leaders in order to continue our work to improve
the education of blind children and the programs
to train teachers to work with those
children.  We encourage those interested in
providing leadership in this area to consider applying.

[]

Braille Initiative

Braille Certification Training Program

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute is nearing the end of our fourth year
of working under contract with the Library of
Congress, National Library Service for the Blind
and Physically Handicapped, to administer the
courses leading to certification for Braille
transcribers and proofreaders. During the past
four years, approximately nine hundred students
have successfully completed the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=fTCChhLwmoZVYe9trz1j_A..>Braille
Certification Courses and earned their
certification from the Library of Congress. In
addition, we have revised the manual for the
literary transcribing course, added a new
Associate Music Transcriber certification, and
updated other requirements and processes to keep
the courses running efficiently and to maintain
the high standards of the Library of Congress
certification. Further updates are ongoing as we
continue to strive to increase the quality and
quantity of Braille produced in this country.

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, the National Association to Promote
the Use of Braille (NAPUB), and the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children are
pleased to announce that registration for the
twenty-eighth annual
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Zcpzjvpj5rYVMQSqSGdYUg..>Braille
Readers Are Leaders Contest began October 1.  The
contest encourages children in grades K-12 to be
proud of their ability to read Braille and to
continually work to improve their skills.

In addition, the NFB Jernigan Institute and NAPUB
are offering a Braille Readers Are Leaders
Contest for adults again this year. This contest
promotes the use of Braille in recreational
reading among blind adults as a means to maintain
and improve their skills. Adults with various
levels of experience reading Braille are welcome to join in the fun.

Braille Reading Pals Club

COMING SOON!  We’re getting ready for a new year
in the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=L6XQUeibVjnmDRJnt6q8oA..>Braille
Reading Pals Club, an early literacy program that
encourages parents to read daily with their blind
child (ages infant to seven).
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=mFYXgnNN1HXpvqCHCcACEA..>Registration
opens November 1, with the new club year beginning in January.

[]

Advocacy

Photo: Anne Taylor, from Baltimore Sun eBay article

(Baltimore Sun photo by Kenneth K. Lam / September 24, 2010)

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=LU3fP02Re5d5G5QH1qzZiw..>Baltimore
Sun<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=LU3fP02Re5d5G5QH1qzZiw..>
article was among the media reports that eBay,
the world’s largest online marketplace, has
partnered with the National Federation of the
Blind to create more opportunities for blind
Americans to gain employment in e-commerce.  With
70 percent of blind Americans either unemployed
or underemployed, job creation is critical to
tackle the employment challenges facing the blind.

eBay.com now includes enhanced features for users
to buy, bid, and sell using the keyboard alone,
as well as improved ways to navigate content
using assistive technologies, such as screen
access software. The blind are now empowered to
start businesses and connect with eBay’s 92
million users and shop from 200 million live listings.

The NFB and eBay will also provide additional
tools and support to the blind community to
enable their success on eBay, such as providing
seed funding for promising blind entrepreneurs,
recruiting members of the blind community to
become eBay Trainers to educate other blind
individuals in selling on eBay, and creating an
NFB e-commerce store on the eBay platform.  Those
interested in receiving information about the NFB
eBay entrepreneurs program should
<mailto:jerniganinstitute at nfb.org?subject=NFB/eBay%20Entrepreneurs%20Program%20Information>e-mail
their contact information to the Jernigan Institute.

For more details, see the NFB and eBay
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=MkcoZ-gRWLcCiZqwesQGpg..>Jobs
Development Partnership Agreement and joint
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=0uyizN9bZdjZjVralTF6qQ..>press
release.

[]

Straight Talk About Vision Loss

Photo: Gary Wunder

This month,
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=30fEVLUEboOuIDdANsEbLQ..>Straight
Talk About Vision Loss brings you
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=57DaYMW963hDur-MSclhog..>Episode
33, an interview with Gary Wunder, the new editor
of the lead publication of the NFB, the Braille
Monitor.  Eleven issues of the Monitor are
published each year (August and September are
combined into one issue and cover our annual
national convention), and it has been the voice
of the nation’s blind since 1957. The Monitor
offers a positive philosophy about blindness to
both blind readers and the public at large, and
it covers the events and activities of the NFB
and addresses issues such as social concerns of
the blind, employment, education, legislation,
rehabilitation, and products and technology used by the blind.

We take this opportunity to bring you a message from the Monitor’s editor:

Last January we did some pruning of the Monitor
list by asking that people receiving the
publication contact us to affirm they still
wanted the magazine. Though we tried to make the
process easy and avoid dropping active readers
from the list, it is apparent that a considerable
number of Federationists have been removed and
are not sure how to resubscribe. In my own state
this has included board members, chapter
presidents, and rank and file members.

I am asking that you take personal responsibility
to see that our flagship publication is being
received by those who want and can benefit from
it.  Please talk with your chapters and affiliate
members about how to subscribe and, if necessary,
help them get on the list. Seeing that members
get the information we carry is too important to
be left to chance. If you have problems getting
people subscribed, you may e-mail me at
<mailto:gwunder at nfb.org>gwunder at nfb.org or call at (573) 874-1774.

Information is the lifeblood of our organization.
Please help me see that it gets to all who want and can benefit from it.

Subscriptions are available in large print
(14-point), in Braille, on 2- or 4-track
cassette, or via e-mail.  To subscribe to large
print (14-point), Braille, 2- or 4-track
cassette, or to change your mailing address,
please contact the NFB by mail (at the address
given below); phone (410) 659-9314, ext. 2344; or
<mailto:nfb at nfb.org?subject=Braille%20Monitor%20subscription>e-mail,
and indicate which format you would like to
receive.  To receive the Monitor electronically,
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=gneZKRc0BP14sRoHCES3Jg..>sign
up online.

Braille Monitor subscribers in the U.S. are
invited to help cover the subscription cost ($25)
when possible.  However, subscriptions mailed to
foreign countries are invoiced at $75 USD per
year, and Canadian subscriptions are invoiced at
$35 per year. Checks should be made payable to
the “National Federation of the Blind” and sent
to the NFB, attention Braille Monitor, 200 East
Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, Maryland 21230.

[]

Product and Access Technology Talk

As the cooler weather sets in, the Access
Technology team has been opening boxes­our
favorite task. We have been testing out the new
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=3_gTCVDdHxxmOEjemLsVgg..>Kindle,
and trying out
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=R8h_j9g0tONZnDnD5uyM2w..>JAWS
12. Another open box for the International
Braille and Technology Center is Freedom
Scientific’s
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=u3Cm_02CDtICJbbIsPKiAw..>Pearl
camera, to go with their update of the OpenBook
software for scanning and recognizing print. All
of these have been written up for the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=EaTcc26IG7uHwYT1Ln3wRQ..>blog­and
the preliminary testing has yielded some pretty interesting results.

 From the manufacturer side, the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=B0RHWH0xk3HfmSKr7Jnvgg..>Access
Technology tips now include instructions on how
to use the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=EkY9WNASgJauDAow3uzV3g..>BrailleNote
Apex as a Braille display, and on how to use the
Function Key for the new
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=E_XKLypBXwxjJAP-qCxsHw..>Olympus
DM-4 digital recorder.

On Monday, September 13, the Access Technology
team played host to election technology
developers at a seminar devoted to nonvisual
access to voting technology. Representatives from
Dominion Voting, Election Systems & Software,
Hart Intercivic, and Everyone Counts were
welcomed to the seminar by NFB President Marc
Maurer. NFB members Steve Booth of Baltimore,
Maryland, Dan Burke of Missoula, Montana, Michael
Kasey of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and Jan Wright
of Indianapolis, Indiana, shared their voting
experience with seminar attendees. The AT team
shared their experience in an exchange of ideas
about accessibility design and demonstrated the
state of the art in touch-screen accessibility.
The seminar also included a discussion about the
lack of poll worker training on accessible voting
machines, lead by Lou Ann Blake, manager of the
Institute’s
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=AZuja9c7n6ZU5f9Q1g_80A..>Help
America Vote Act (HAVA) grant from the United
States Department of Health and Human Services.
Information on federal guidelines and
certification testing was provided by Ron
Gardner, member of the United States Access Board
and president of the NFB of Utah, and Dr. Sharon
Laskowski of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Finally, the team participated in Pearson
Publishing’s
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=UwKXqD7ZfnNRS5D5eO2rvA..>Accessibility
& Innovation Conference on September 28. The
presentation covered editorial, instructional
design, and usability aspects of Web
accessibility and eBook accessibility. The event
targets decision makers and process owners at
Pearson, one of the largest publishers of textbooks in the world.

[]

 From the tenBroek Library

The tenBroek family
Photo: tenBroek family in living room

Last winter we heard from
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=5aoRxHVQ2h0Gm84E5AfHmw..>Judge
Michael Marcus of the Multnomah County (Oregon)
Circuit Court. At the time he was receiving
chemotherapy for brain cancer and he had good
reason to believe that he wouldn't live too long.
To make things right in this world he felt that
he had to fulfill a promise he had made to Hazel tenBroek in 1968.

In 1968, Judge Marcus was a law student and
earlier, while an undergraduate, he had been a
student of Dr. tenBroek’s. Marcus had remained
close with the tenBroeks and was a favored
protégé of the blind constitutional scholar at
the time of the professor’s death. It was
natural, then, for Mrs. tenBroek to offer Marcus
the set of United States Supreme Court Reports
that had occupied a place of honor in a bookcase
in the tenBroek home. Marcus promised Hazel that
he would make good use of the books, but
unfortunately he let them languish, and they
eventually ended up in the basement of his home in Portland.

Dr. tenBroek’s Supreme Court Reports
Photo: Dr. tenBroek's Supreme Court Reports

Judge Marcus contacted the tenBroek Library,
telling us he’d gladly pay to ship the books to
Baltimore. He wanted the books permanently
connected to his mentor’s memory. We could hardly
refuse. These were the very books that Hazel and
other sighted readers had read aloud as Jacobus
tenBroek digested the meaning of the Supreme
Court decisions for citation in his scholarly
writings. Although everything in these books is
now available to lawyers and scholars through
online services such as Westlaw, the books
themselves should remain dear to Federationists
and to all who are better off as a result of
Jacobus tenBroek’s life and work. Here they sit,
in an honored place on the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=S9Jf5RKdlM6laoujeasoZg..>tenBroek
Library shelves. We’re pleased to say that Judge
Marcus is still with us and that he is satisfied
knowing that the books are here, in the home of America’s organized blind.

[]

Independence Market

Photo: A Braille calendar

It is not too early to order your 2011 Braille or
large print calendar from the NFB Independence
Market.  We have the following calendars available.

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=_Pgg7pJNO_zejQ1ijYVfpg..>2011
American Action Fund Braille Calendar   This
comb-bound, pocket-sized Braille calendar
measures 6 x 6 1/2 inches. Each calendar page
includes the days of the month and lists major
holidays. A page for personal notes is in the
back. This calendar is available free of charge.

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=n9mX0ibzHLY8vqOuWUtxmg..>2011
Large Print Calendar   This spiral-bound, large
print appointment calendar measures 8 1/2 x 11
inches with inside pockets. Each month is
displayed on two facing pages and features 2-inch
blocks for each day of the month. The months are
tabbed and include a section for monthly notes as
well as a three-month calendar overview. The
calendar costs $10.00 plus shipping and handling.

These items can be ordered
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=JyBct2xLdBRItLnwy7P-vA..>online
from the Independence Market. Please contact
staff with any questions via
<mailto:IndependenceMarket at nfb.org>e-mail or by
phone at 410-659-9314, extension 2216, Monday
through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

[]

Parent Outreach

Let Go and Empower Blind Youth

Some who have read previous issues of this
newsletter or made visits to the NFB Jernigan
Institute have seen our dynamic accessible
bulletin board. The goal of this board is to help
promote the mission and work of the NFB and to
highlight specific programs and philosophies
related to blindness. Our bulletin board also
helps model for teachers how regular classroom
and school bulletin boards can be made engaging
for blind students easily and creatively. This
quarter’s display illustrates a parent
encouraging her blind child to go after the career of his choice.
Photo: LEt GO, Empower bulletin board

This bulletin board features a scene from the
lives of Linda LEGO and her blind son Luke. In
the bottom right-hand corner a short story gives
viewers background information about the LEGO family and sets the scene.

Linda LEGO loves her son Luke LEGO. Like all
parents, she wants to protect him from all things
bad. She used to worry constantly about how her
blind son could navigate the world. Then one day
Captain Whozit paid her a visit.

Captain Whozit told Linda LEGO, “With the proper
training and opportunities blindness can be
reduced to the level of a mere nuisance.” He also
told her about the skills Luke needs to have to
be successful. Now, having taken Captain Whozit’s
words to heart, Linda knows it’s okay to LEt GO!

The title of this display­LEt GO, Empower­can be
found in the top left-hand corner in print and in
Braille. In print, the words “LEt GO” are
oriented vertically along the left border and the
word “Empower” branches off of the “e” in “let”
and continues horizontally beneath the top border
producing a crossword puzzle effect. Large
three-dimensional figures of Linda (approximately
three feet tall) and Luke (approximately two feet
tall) pop off the deep green background. Luke is
dressed in a white collared shirt, blue jeans,
and red sneakers. An authentic NFB children’s
cane rests on his shoulder. Luke’s clothes are
adorned with the characteristics of a successful
blind child: problem solver, socially
appropriate, cane traveler, determined,
confident, independent, active,
technology-literate, and Braille reader. Linda is
wearing a red dress that features the
characteristics a parent needs to raise a
successful blind child: good listener, creative,
loving, strong, good sense of humor, persevering,
dedicated, assertive, and investigative. Word
bubbles show the conversation between mom and son.

Luke says, “I want to be a fireman, but Jimmy
says I can't do it because I’m blind.”

Linda replies, “You need to LEt GO of those
negative attitudes! You can do whatever you want.
We'll find out if any other blind people are
firefighters and how they do their job.”

Continuing the theme all the way to the edge of
the bulletin board, the border is made of real
LEGO building bricks. Visitors are invited to
interact with the display and reposition the LEGO pieces!

Youth Coordinator Leadership Seminar

On September 24-26, 2010, the NFB Jernigan
Institute hosted a youth coordinator conference
to help foster development of more programs for
blind youth across the country. Thirty-three
youth coordinators, selected by their NFB state
affiliate president from twenty-seven states,
participated in the event. The youth coordinators
worked in groups to plan hypothetical programs
for blind youth emphasizing areas of Braille,
transition, blindness philosophy and skills, and
STEM subjects. The groups shared their ideas with
each other at the end of the evening, and their
programs were evaluated by blind youth. The goal
of this seminar is for coordinators to take the
ideas shared at this conference back to their
state affiliates and apply what they learned in
their own youth outreach efforts.

Leading the Way Program

In the NFB 2001 Everest Expedition, the NFB
sponsored blind athlete Erik Weihenmayer in his
record-breaking summit of Mt. Everest, the
tallest peak in the world.  The Jernigan
Institute has been asked to pass along a notice
of this travel program for students of all
abilities, developed by the nonprofit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ZFUNi1ef4ysxupwP8nACKw..>Global
Explorers in partnership with Erik:

Do you know an exceptional student who would
benefit from a unique travel and leadership program?
Graphic: Global Explorers logo

The Global Explorers Leading the Way program
brings together blind and sighted youth ages
14-21 for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure
combining leadership, science, culture, and
service.  The program aims to achieve the following:
    * Provide unparalleled leadership skills by
learning about and practicing No Barriers Leadership.
    * Develop confidence, independence,
self-awareness, and curiosity about the world in participants.
    * Promote peer relationships among youth of
different backgrounds and abilities.
    * Equip participants with the tools they need
to step up and make a difference in the world.
    * Prepare participants to act on the passions they discover.
    * Spread messages of hope by breaking down
barriers between those with and without disabilities.

Our summer 2011 Leading the Way destination is
one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World–the
majestic Grand
Canyon!
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=DtiNnPkLrNc2R42YseJ4oA..>Nominate
a student online by the Monday, November 15,
deadline.  For more information, please
<mailto:laura at globalexplorers.org>e-mail Laura or call (877) 627-1425.

[]

Spotlight on the Imagination Fund

Graphic: Cell phone

Easy Way to Support the Race for Independence Campaign

As of October 1, 2010, the Imagination Fund has a
new tool to help raise funds for the innovative
and vital programs it supports. It is called
Text2Give, and it is a program where members and
others are invited to text a gift of $10 to the
Imagination Fund. The task is simple. Just text
the keyword “Blind” to 85944 and help us raise $1
million for the programs of the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute.  (Messaging and data rates may apply.
A one-time gift of $10 will be charged to your phone.)

For more information on the Race for Independence
Campaign, please visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=2L9D_dr86JC0Wwi5XdHkyw..>www.raceforindependence.org.

Proceeds from the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=XwkCSb1u2c1JuileWwTsmg..>Imagination
Fund build programs of the National Federation of
the Blind at the national, state, and local levels.

[]

NFB Calendar

October
2010
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=EwDqsGV1I0wr462OQlvH2Q..>Meet
the Blind Month, a nationwide campaign conducted
by chapters throughout the country every
October.  Activities that spread the NFB’s
message in local communities are listed by state
in the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=4Bjx9f4rUCaQMuf4sdYxpg..>Meet
the Blind Month events page.

October 1,
2010
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Ya7anGbXjztjm4YYLmjYDA..>Braille
Readers Are Leaders Contest registration begins

The Fall Convention Season  The yearly meetings
of the NFB’s state affiliates cluster in the fall
and the spring. The list of states that will meet
in convention assembled in October is
impressive:  Alaska, District of Columbia,
Georgia, Arkansas, Hawaii, California, Delaware,
Indiana, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, Texas,
Washington, Colorado, Michigan, and Nebraska.  To
look up when the NFB of (insert your favorite
state) meets or for more information, see the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=OIKg3bTOqbEEe5lH-n3HgQ..>State
Conventions page on the NFB’s Web site.

November 1,
2010
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ya_Iu58H58YPPZ-kzvS_xw..>Braille
Reading Pals club
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=xs7flhq_T8sSH7nsMT44ew..>registration
begins

November 1,
2010
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=aljuOl-raP6hnZ8SOBJ6qA..>Braille
Readers Are Leaders Contest reading period begins

November 1, 2010    Application becomes available
for 2011
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=fc9lKNglZ1gZ8jU3An2hqw..>NFB
Scholarship Program

January 4, 2011  Louis Braille’s birthday

January 31-February 3, 2011   NFB 2011
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=VsVfad5m5ajItcusThzUKw..>Washington
Seminar

March 31, 2011  Deadline to apply to win one of thirty 2011 NFB Scholarships

July 2011  The 71st Annual NFB
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=rypk3D2J4W2N4d04gVvH5A..>National
Convention, Orlando, Florida

[]

Citation

Whereas the National Federation of the Blind, the
Nation’s oldest and largest organization of blind
people and a leading advocate for Braille
literacy in the United States, has launched a
national “Braille Readers are Leaders” campaign
to promote awareness of the importance of Braille
and to increase the availability of competent
Braille instruction and of Braille reading
materials in this country:  Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives­

(1) supports the importance of Braille and the
role that Braille plays in the lives of blind people;
(2) recognizes the 70th anniversary of the
National Federation of the Blind; and
(3) supports the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind and other organizations to promote Braille literacy.

       ­<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=vEl34l4AcnVY7bAzDcvQhA..>H.
Res. 1034: Expressing support for the importance
of Braille in the lives of blind people, passed
in the U.S. House of Representatives, 111th Congress, June 23, 2010.

Back to Top

Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute’s Imagineering Our Future.

Mentor Trevor Attenberg leads campers along the nature trail

Photo: Group on white water raft

Support the Jernigan Institute through the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Mj5yJBPMIxp6cUw90Sz_7Q..>Imagination
Fund

Photo: Young woman playing flute

Interesting links:

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=WhvMF-Q4wRzziUTdUYFWMg..>Archive
of Straight Talk about Vision Loss videos

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=lTCQUqQNPYWbPgIQfk9_gA..>National
Center for Blind Youth in Science

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=74qO_IuvNJJ5hNJ3OV9zDw..>Access
Technology Tips

Photo: Youth practicing martial art

Blogs:

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=dKR37vHbFArG82vfRH1Gvw..>Access
Technology

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=5D6rMMGG4gGD8ieA-J5D1g..>Voice
of the Nation’s Blind

Photo: Senior couple

Publication archives:

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=75j3pmMPkWMqZ1AatHRQbA..>Future
Reflections

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=HLzML57zFW5eBZMPhnSnSQ..>Braille
Monitor

Photo: Mom and son take a moment and a hug

Graphic Logo: National Federation of the Blind

Photo: Blind little girl with cane

Photo: Blind youth reading Braille book

Photo: Blind girl examining model of constellations

Photo: Blind boy with tactile globe

Blind Teens Carry the 2007 Youth March for Independence Banner

Visit us at
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=cU5zWfAnkDTTefucPBFpUg..>nfb.org

Imagine a Future Full of Opportunity

[]

Jernigan Institute, National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314      Fax (410)
659-5129      E-mail
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20Future>JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
Visit us at www.nfb.org

Better Business Bureau logo
 <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=crQikVjD3A34tRU_8Os_Gw..>
American Institute of Philanthropy logo

The National Federation of the Blind meets the
rigorous Standards for Charity Accountability set
forth by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance and is
Top-Rated by the American Institute of Philanthropy.

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=qNCDzIEveoh-iA0uORP-SA..>Forward
this newsletter.
If this issue was forwarded to you and you’d like
to subscribe, please e-mail
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20Future>JerniganInstitute at nfb.org.