[gui-talk] puttting an icon in the desktop using Firefox

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 8 17:16:48 UTC 2017

Hi Rob,

Here's how I make a shortcut to things on my desktop. I use Internet
Explorer though.

1. Go to the location of the program for which you want to make the desktop
shortcut. If you don't know the location, press Shift, F10 to go to the
context menu, and press "open file locations."

2. Once you are on the program file for which you want to make the shortcut,
press Shift, F10, and press N until you hear JAWS say, "Send to."

3. Open the submenu, and press D. JAWS will say, "Desktop (create
shortcut.") Press Enter.

Example

You want to make a shortcut to JAWS 18.

1. Go to "My Computer."

2. Press Enter on "Local Disk (C:)."

3. [using my location and JAWS 17 as an example]
Go to C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\17.0.

4. Press J until you hear JAWS say, "Jfw.exe."

5. Press Shift, F10. You will be in the context menu.

6. Press N to go to the "Send to" item.

7. Press D.

Now when you go to the desktop, there will be a new item, "JFW.exe -
shortcut." Press F2 to rename it if you want to.

I hope this helps.

If you want to make a hot key for your shortcut so all you have to do is
press it and the shortcut will activate, please let me know, and I would be
glad to give you the steps for that.

Jen