[gui-talk] My Problem with JAWS and 33Outlook 2016

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Aug 26 12:38:35 UTC 2017

Jen,

The first thing of which to be aware is that both JAWS and Outlook have the
capability to automatically restart themselves.  I have found more than once
that I thought my system was hung up only to find that I was waiting for
JAWS to restart.  Sometimes, JAWS restarts because it thinks another program
is not responding, and this can happen if in the case of Outlook if you have
large folders or a slower connection.  Remember that a slow connection can
be at the other end and it doesn't mean your connection is slow.  If you try
just waiting when this happens and if you find that JAWS restarts, there are
ways in the latest version of JAWS to make the time it waits before
restarting automatically longer.

Second, if you are using Office 365, updates are being made to your software
very often.  It is not uncommon for problems to seemingly appear from
nowhere and then sometimes even disappear.  The nice thing is that we get
fixes sooner, but it also means that problems can appear without warning.

The third thing I would suggest is that you look at all of the various
settings in JAWS for Office 365.  Try disabling as many as you don't
absolutely need to be certain they are not causing a problem.

Fourth, if you have any sort of message previewing on, turn that off.  There
seems to be two ways that can be on, including Message Preview and "Reading
Pane."

Fifth, think about what it is that you are doing with your tailored views.
I see from a later note that the "CleanviewS" option may not have solved
your problem, but if it made things somewhat better, there might be things
in your views that make the problem worse.  Please understand that I'm not
saying you shouldn't be able to do everything you are doing.  I'm only
looking for ways that might reduce the problem.

Sixth, and maybe do this sooner than this, contact the Microsoft
Accessibility line.  They are pretty good.  They can connect to your
computer remotely and may be able to see visually what is happening, and
there might be something that is visually obvious that is not apparent with
a screen reader.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson