[gui-talk] Microsoft Word workaround recommendations

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Fri Aug 25 11:44:04 UTC 2017

Often I get documents for review or comment which say things like:

Priority items highlighted in red, or <insert color>.

Does anyone have a suggested method for quickly flagging such highlighted text in Word and reading it?  Kind of like track changes I find this process pretty annoying as what's really needed is some heuristics to read the changes while preserving context without getting so lost in the details.  I realize I can ask for attributes of text but I need to hear the highlighted text in some way with context when possible, e.g. if highlighted text is in a paragraph what would be nice is read the paragraph and then identify the hightlighted portion, or at my request the other way around.

Of course I realize requesting accessible version of such materials is always an option where author actually marks up the segments in an accessible way, but in real world this request isn't always feasible within the time constraints available.